1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

"The former Minneapolis police officer seen in a video with his knee on George Floyd's neck before the unarmed black man died this week was taken into custody Friday by state authorities, according to John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

The officer, Derek Chauvin, was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as fires continued to burn from violent protests overnight as demonstrators demanded justice for Floyd."

The state steps in to make the arrest. That should help defuse things a bit. City didn't/wouldn't/couldn't. That's a really bad look.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The cop who was kneeling on Floyd's neck knew the victim and they worked together as nightclub security? Is that correct?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

going to be interesting to see what the charges are

also, do they charge the other cops

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

lot of fragments like this floating around

not sure what to trust until it gets reported out

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same here. This is what I saw in a WaPo story ...

• Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said Floyd and Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their fatal encounter.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

NBC and ABC are carrying the press conference live. FOX and CBS are not, at least not in my market.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The way they handled it, and by taking 5 days, they ensured that no matter what they charge, it's not going to be received well by people who will reflexively call for a more serious charge.

Mob justice is all that might satisfy some people at this point.

Based on the video, an involuntary manslaughter charge, or maybe a reckless homocide charge, might be objectively reasonable, and make for a doable case to argue in front of a jury.

But given the frustrations right now, even if they charged murder one, there will be people screaming that it's not enough.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Charged with third degree murder and manslaughter.

In Minnesota, third degree murder involves “perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind” but without the intent to cause death.

Assuming they stick with that charge, and he pleads or gets convicted, it's probably just.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Because I'm never going to be in a situation like Chauvin, I can say this.
    The minute that video went viral, I'm Andy Dufresne on my way to Zihuatanejo to keep me from being Andy Dufresne in the laundry room with Bogs and the sisters.

BTExpress and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Prosecutor made of point of saying that the charges might be upgraded if the evidence warrants.

Draft saved Draft deleted