1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Here, they won't let you in a store without one.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Understood. Perhaps I was imprecise. I did not intend to suggest that you were complaining. I meant that our general goal as a country is to make things better so that examples such as your daughter's understandable disappointment and sorrow are not repeated in 2021.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Brushing your teeth and showering are basic hygiene decisions. Right now I look at wearing a mask as a basic hygiene decision so that I don't get people "dirty."

Not wearing a mask at this point is either not giving a shit, not understanding, or making a statement against science. Not wearing a mask is a conscious decision.

People put their faith in scientists 100s of times a day (drinking water is clean, internet will work, electric will get to my home, my kevlar vest will stop that bullet, these pills will keep me from dying...), but on this one thing it's "fuck science?"

Fred siegle, Dyno, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You're right. Everyone wants this to end with the least people suffering, but the people that are experts in this are really trying to keep our feet on the breaks, not on the gas.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you had a color TV. In July 1971 only 48 percent of households did.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not mentioned here is that the logistics of managing migrant workers during the pandemic is a case study for schools re-opening.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You could have just said that in the first place, ya know.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If only the Director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases had said that in early March. Instead of . . .

I mean, you can keep coming back to "We're still LEARNING about this disease yada yada yada!" to explain away that ignorant statement. But masks as a way to prevent transmission is a long-established practice.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@doctorquant. I don't know what you'll do if you ever have to forgo something actually necessary to your survival. The thing is, you make no distinction between "it means a lot" and situations where quality of life is unalterably abbreviated.

Fred siegle and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I ordered the cheapo blue masks through amazon at the beginning of this whole thing - they came from China, of course - and I'm telling ya, if everybody had those, more would wear them. You can breathe through them. They're not annoying as shit to wear.

I cut a few of my own masks. They sucked. Then I had people make some beautiful masks for me, people from church who do that because they love to, and, yeah, they made them out of too nice of material. It's like breathing through an expensive bed sheet, too many straps. Pretty to look at. Can't use them.

The cheap blue ones. They work. I can wear those all day.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We're seeing who understands what being part of a society involves, and who doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted