1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What if one of the first Costco sample giveaways were riblets?

lakefront and Alma like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Masks are a lot more than a target to divide people.

Wearing a mask around others can stop the transmission of the disease by quite a large factor.

It's particularly effective if people wear them, because you can be asymptomatic and spread the disease simply by being around others, speaking and breathing.

A mask is a barrier to your respiratory droplets spreading.

The virus isn't thinking about the inane tribal politics that people use to fight with each other, and it isn't interested in the simplistic narratives people post on here. It's a virus. It requires humans to host it in order to survive. Masks are a somewhat effective way to keep the virus from finding new hosts. Just as limiting your exposure to other people -- i.e. stay at home -- limits the ability of the virus to spread from person to person.

This isn't complicated. The narratives you have about bad guys and reasons why all this is happening that you attribute to others, have nothing to do with what matters, which is a fairly objective thing. Respiratory viruses spread through droplets and masks help inhibit that spread. It's that simple.

But the level of idiocy in this country gets in the way of people just using reason.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why COVID-19 Is Hitting Men Harder Than Women

I've seen a few reports on this. One reason cited for the difference is women have stronger immune systems than men. I've only seen that one in this one report, so maybe others know more. Another cause cited is that men tend to engage in risky behavior more often. The belief is that in comparison with women, men are more likely to ignore social distancing and we are less likely to take our own symptoms seriously and seek help when we should.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No one here is making that leap, (expletive deleted.)

Junkie likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let the profanity fly! He earned it! :)

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

COVID-19 is not simply a problem for New York City! COVID-19 is a national problem!

I have a subscription to the New York Times online newspaper, and I use it to follow the latest news about COVID-19. The New York Times online newspaper lists that the counties with the highest COVID-19 rates are -

Trousdale, Tenn.
    Dakota, Neb.
    Lincoln, Ark.
    Nobles, Minn.
    Colfax, Neb.
    Lake, Tenn.
    Ford, Kan.
    Texas, Okla.
    Cass, Ind.
    Bledsoe, Tenn.

Wear your masks no matter where you live to help prevent the spread of COVID-19!

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For the record, I bought clippers and started cutting my hair in the garage in March. I wear a mask everywhere I'm supposed to. My wife and youngest daughter and I have been to a restaurant (a properly socially distanced one) once.

lakefront likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two things:

>>The majority of national media lives in a place hit hard by this. (Northeast/East Coast).

>>The media is immersed in this hourly. It, thus, dominates life. Other people 1000s of miles away sit on their porch or their stoop or whatever, see a sunny day, feel their long hair, and want to get it cut.

This happens a lot with many subjects. It's proximity bias. Hell, it happens with coverage of the British royals. It happens with weather events on the East Coast being even larger than life than weather events in the Midwest.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You want personal? I'll get personal.

@doctorquant and @BTExpress, you and your family are inconvenienced?

Boo fucking hoo.

The number of virtual memorials for people I know dying of this thing is now in the teens. You and your families and friends can make up for lost time when this is all over. My friends' spouses, children, parents, and grandparents didn't even get to say goodbye. They'll never see their loved ones again. In cases in West Tennessee, all they got were prerecorded farewells some hospitals gave their staff the option of recording.

You know what they were doing when they died? TAKING CARE OF ASSHOLES LIKE YOU WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT MAKING SURE YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT IT. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOU ARE SPOILED BABIES.

Last night, I thought watching that bitch Mitch McConnell beg for people to wear masks because he knows his inbred, redneck ass is going to hell for being Mitch McConnell and he's afraid to die elicited as much anger I could muster anymore.

I was wrong.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Unlike Vietnam, a war in which red blood was visible to tv viewers, this war can’t be covered visually. Privacy laws obviously prevent network tv cameras from being in hospitals.

lakefront and garrow like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted