1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That’s very funny. I don’t think I have ever heard President Obama swear!

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Ragu must be off his game. There was a time he'd have an obvious troll nuked within hours, if not minutes.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Trump, in many ways, let an easy roundball roll through his legs. He didn't need a great plan, because a great plan is hard to execute with this crazy thing (although some countries did it better than others). He needed a plan and I think many people would have respected that to a large degree. What he did, however, was undermine, attack and confuse any plans advanced by others, in addition to having no plan of his own. Then he handed out bad medical advice from the biggest pulpit in the world.
    A complete failure of leadership in a crisis.

lakefront and Jerry-atric like this.
  4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Sorry your daughter didn’t get to walk across a fucking stage and your friend couldn’t run in a fucking race. My wife is a transplant recipient and therefore has a hugely compromised immune system and I would like for her to not fucking die because selfish fucking assholes like you can’t stop being selfish fucking assholes for a few months. Fuck.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He doesn't mean anything by it. He's just trolling me. Like a lot of us he's angry and anxious and doesn't have any place to get it out of his system.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I know he’s trolling. He parachutes in to be an asshole from time to time. That’s his schtick. It’s already pretty worn out. My response was more to the overall community of people who can’t make the tiniest of sacrifices that possibly will save tens of thousands. It’s mind-boggling.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I have 2 properties that I was going to sell this summer, not even sure where I will be living this fall and if I can do it fast enough before a possible second wave hits. My daughter is an RN and maybe now I have to worry about my grandkids getting it from her and possibly----I have not heard anything about it lately, hoping that that is good news----getting that inflamatory thing that kids have been getting. I am having to navigate rentals in vermont at my cottage and renovations at a condo at the beach. (not trying to brag or show off, they are both really small) Both of those have been a pain in the ass.

So you see, that is to say that I want this over with as quick as possible, quicker even than some. The people who are dragging this out are 100% the people who DO NOT DO A SIMPLE THING LIKE WEARING A MASK IN PUBLIC FOR THE SHORT PERIOD OF TIMES THAT THEY ARE IN PUBLIC.

And this fucking bozo the clown that is in charge has done nothing to get us through this as quickly as possible---including wearing a mask, the fucking idiot. start, stop, start, stop is what we will be doing for the whole fucking summer.

thank you

p.s. and on top of all that just the whole idea of what this is doing to people, all the terrible things that I can not even think about, that are going on.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Not enough visuals of the sick people.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I keep saying it over and over. Until there is a no-shit big die off, people won't take it seriously. 100k deaths across this nation means that the percentage of the population who have been personally affected (by the virus, not shelter in place) is tiny. I look at Alabama's new cases ramp up and it is obvious that it is building, but it's still just 450 people a day or so. Again, by percentage, very small.

We're going to keep screwing around with this until we get a 1918 sized pile of dead, and it was entirely preventable.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think I've been pretty clear and consistent ... I'm disgusted by the "but riblets" caucus' flippant dismissal of the suffering -- yes, I said it and meant it, suffering -- of run-of-the-mill people. But for that I'd have felt no need to "parachute" in here.

11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

True story.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everybody should do whatever they feel necessary to protect themselves. And community involvement is by and large a good thing.

But we really need to stop taking these leaps from "person in Fort Worth gets a haircut therefore person in Newark dies."

(DQ, please share that nifty colorful county map from the other day)

For better or worse, "flattening the curve" by definition dragged it out. Masks have unfortunately become little more than a target to divide people. "We need to recognize the bad guys immediately," and what better way to do that than to simply point to someone not wearing a mask as "the reason" all this is happening! Completely ignoring the fact that two-thirds of new cases are people who stayed home.

Draft saved Draft deleted