1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

72441.jpeg 20200528_201407.jpg

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Today we have dq playing the role of contrarian jackass who will happily twist himself up into a rhetorical pretzel rather than acknowledge that there are a significant number of people who are acting like selfish, spoiled jackasses and making this thing worse. Sadly, they President Trump's example to follow in that regard.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is 12 minutes.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, which one of the rejects are you?

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Brioche must have been too chewy this morning.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

“Muh freedom” ... “guv’ment” ... if you want a Bingo you’re going to need to throw in a “klan” and a “SECessionist” or two.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Thank you, Wall Street Journal, for putting "fatalities" in your trend headline. As opposed to obsessing about "cases" (which are nothing more than throwing darts anyway with up to 80 percent of people asymptomatic). "Deaths" don't care if you got tested. Focus on deaths and nothing else. Rate slowing? That's good . . . no matter what the "cases" number says.

1974. I don't have to imagine. I remember.

[​IMG]

Besides, how many people on here earlier this month have said, "I haven't filled my tank in weeks"? It was viewed as one of the money-saving benefits of the shutdown.

Hard to say, since it's been the "first inning" since mid-March. COVID-19 has batted around eleventy million times.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think we are seeing a reaction of “this wasn’t that bad” to how much people had to alter their lives.

But ignoring the potential for how bad this could have been if schools stayed open and baseball and sporting kept being played is, well, disingenuous at best.

The reason why it never ripped through Podunk is because Podunk stopped gathering in schools. Urban centers gather more with public transportation so people saw the early effects more there. Now, will we ever see Podunk get hit hard?

I live in the burbs of a city. We have a 1:4300 death ratio. Other places in America have a 1:440 death rate.

Would you be trolling if Quant County had a 1:440 death rate?

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Interesting (to me, anyway) that the graph shows so many fewer Hispanic deaths than African-American deaths when there are so many more Hispanics than African-Americans in the U.S. (~18% Hispanic, 13% black) I assume Hispanics are closer to African-Americans than to whites in terms of the factors that contribute to African-Americans' high death rates. Not saying that I have any good idea of how much of the difference is due to one factor or another, but that any factors I can think of would seem to affect Hispanics similarly. Wonder why not.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll buy that.

Still no reason Joe's Shoe Repair in Podunk had to shut his doors for two months. His shop didn't draw big crowds. It was just thrown under a silly, simplistic blanket of "non-essential."

Gender is interesting to me.

Deaths overwhelmingly hit the oldest people. Women live longer. Senior women (28 million) greatly outnumber senior men (22 million). Seems a slam dunk that more than half the deaths would be women. But it's only 45 percent.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If you look at the Coronavirus as an enemy of war and compare it to what our military does, you might look at it differently.

About 50 percent of what our military touches turns to shit but we don’t question it because miltury...

In the war on COVID, some good moves were made... some moves that in hindsight might not have been the best, but from where the ball sat in the deep rough after our idiot President shanked the drive (ignoring it, telling people it will just disappear), I think scrambling for bogey isn’t a horrible outcome.

Like Obama said, no one could have played it perfectly, but, Jesus, Trump didn’t have to fuck it up this badly.

Draft saved Draft deleted