1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If there is a parallel today to the election in 1968, the link to me is George Wallace. From the racism, the insults of his opponents, the nastiness, the populist idiocy, the "Stand up for America" slogun (as opposed to "Make America Great") he was a Trump precursor.

He actually got way more votes than anyone like that should have ever in America, but he was rejected and relegated to the trash heap of history.

2016 was the election in which America finally succumbed to the worst insticts it has, but my hope is that 2020 is when it begins to catch itself again, as it has at times like this in its past.

Unfortunately, a lot of how the unwashed masses tend to vote correlates with where they feel their lives are economically, and we have spent the last several decades destroying our country and discouraging the individualistic character that made America different.

As a result, we're stuck with two corrupt political parties that don't really stand for anything, and on top of it, someone like Donald Trump was able to hijack one of the parties, by appealing to people's tribal politics instincts that I don't quite get, over any semblence of decency. Both parties are guilty of the inane tribalism for the sake of tribalism, but it's particularly stark when the world's biggest charlatan, bullshit artist and worst person actually gains power in a democracy.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Someone was shot and killed at the “protest” last night amid the looting.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Interesting your use of quote marks there. Why did you use them?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In 1972, he won nearly every county in the Florida primary. He won 10 states in the Democratic primary. The day after he was shot, he won Michigan and Maryland (they aren't the South, BTW). He finished with 1.8% fewer votes than McGovern.

The assassination attempt ended his presidential aspirations, not American enlightenment.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm a white man, and my legs turned to jelly when I've gotten pulled over for exceeding the speed limit. It's a completely unnatural feeling. I can't imagine what it's like to be a black man who ends up in a situation involving a cop. Yet people respond to these videos saying the black man should know what to do, etc., listen to the cops' orders, etc. And when they don't, some of them get killed. The cops' excuse is that they were afraid or felt threatened. But they're the ones who underwent training. They're the ones these situations should come natural to. And their behavior is brushed aside.

Watching the George Floyd video, I'm not sure what disturbs me more: the cop kneeling on Floyd's neck, or the cop(s) watching idly by, allowing it to happen.

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - MLK jr

OscarMadison and Iron_chet like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Looting stores has nothing to do with a cop murdering a man. (Which, to be clear, is what I think happened.)

One video I saw showed 3-4 white kids jumping through a broken target window to get some swag. We’ve strayed a little far from the purpose of the protest at that point.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So you're letting some bad apples spoil the whole bunch?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. Rioting is wrong, but it isn’t necessarily unexpected, and it does sometimes become the vehicle through which change is affected.

That’s part of why the cops will be charged. (As they should be.)

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

King's challenge to the nation's social scientists

Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena. They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest. The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived Negro to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the Negro does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking. But most of all, alienated from society and knowing that this society cherishes property above people, he is shocking it by abusing property rights. There are thus elements of emotional catharsis in the violent act. This may explain why most cities in which riots have occurred have not had a repetition, even though the causative conditions remain. It is also noteworthy that the amount of physical harm done to white people other than police is infinitesimal and in Detroit whites and Negroes looted in unity.

A profound judgment of today’s riots was expressed by Victor Hugo a century ago. He said, ‘If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.’

The policymakers of the white society have caused the darkness; they create discrimination; they structured slums; and they perpetuate unemployment, ignorance and poverty. It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society. When we ask Negroes to abide by the law, let us also demand that the white man abide by law in the ghettos. Day-in and day-out he violates welfare laws to deprive the poor of their meager allotments; he flagrantly violates building codes and regulations; his police make a mockery of law; and he violates laws on equal employment and education and the provisions for civic services. The slums are the handiwork of a vicious system of the white society; Negroes live in them but do not make them any more than a prisoner makes a prison. Let us say boldly that if the violations of law by the white man in the slums over the years were calculated and compared with the law-breaking of a few days of riots, the hardened criminal would be the white man. These are often difficult things to say but I have come to see more and more that it is necessary to utter the truth in order to deal with the great problems that we face in our society.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted