1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Anybody know if there's a gender difference in the racial disparity? At least in Georgia, there seems to be; African-Americans make up 37% of the cases among women but only 30% of the cases among men (still above their percentage in the population, because that 30% doesn't include a lot of people whose races are listed as missing or unknown, many of whom presumably are African-American). Whites make up 31% of the women and 33% of the men.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those numbers are close enough to be random variables.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just got a look at my local school district's proposed budget for 2020-21. I haven't seen all the details yet, but there is only a small, reasonable increase in the levy. One reason they were able to keep it relatively low was rolling over money from the 2019-20 budget. I'm assuming most public school districts were able to save money because the buildings were closed for over two months. It is a hell of a price to pay because some of those savings come from cancelling athletics and other activities, but it does offer some relief.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Conservative food for thought:

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

This is the earliest mention that I could find.

Presidential

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is good news.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

2/28...trump...

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Donald Trump on Friday night tried to cast the global outbreak of the coronavirus as a liberal conspiracy intended to undermine his first term, lumping it alongside impeachment and the Mueller investigation.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There is going to be a school budget time bomb that explodes this fall, and that's in transportation. Where one bus used to run a route, now it'll need to be three. If a football team used to ride two buses to a game, now they might need six.
    Come October or November, the fuel and maintenance costs for all of those extra bus rides is going to start to add up. There's also a shortage of bus drivers in a lot of places, so it'll be interesting to see how schools deal with needing to run two or three times as many routes when they already struggle to find drivers for the ones they have.
    That's assuming, of course, that schools reopen in the fall and social distancing/limiting gatherings is still a thing.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have been told by people who know that my school system saves $30,000 a day when we are closed for snow, etc.
    That savings comes bus fuel, heating/cooling the buildings, etc.
    We are in need of a new high school. My system has built one new school building since 1980. The county commission won't come across the the funding.
    The prevailing theory is this shutdown has provided a nice down payment toward the new one.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted