1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

2. AD

AD Active Member

but that's the precise problem: they ARE under the SI banner. readers aren't sifting through stuff wondering if it's "true SI." the judgement is swift: this sucks or this is great/good/meh. but it IS Sports Illustrated now. Maven paid for that brand, and they can put whatever crap they want under it and hope no one notices the difference.

Donny in his element and wicked like this.
  3. If the web address starts with "si.com," which this does, it's Sports Illustrated-generated content, is it not?

It's unfair to the few great writers who are still at SI that their work falls under the same umbrella as this Pocoroba piece. I wonder if the bean counters at Maven/SI are seeing an uptick in the amount of views this article is getting, only to find the clicks are mysteriously coming from this thread.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I can’t recall the last time I actually visited si.com natively so your theory has legs

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Guilt by association may be unfortunate, but SI still is going to get the heat.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I couldn't get past the lead graph on that Pocaroba obit (the sourcing and puncuation) - and then it got worse (and he had a funny name!)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That name, BTW, is 100% real.

8. Oh, no. There's a follow-up. (There are issues with this one, too, had it come across the desk of any true "SI" editor, but it's not nearly as bad as the first article)

Reaction to the death of Biff Pocoroba

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Another FWIW - I meant to reply to this comment: "Back in the day, a typo or grammar gaffe in SI was a very rare find. And now it's come to this."

And all I meant by it was this was not the traditional SI or its editing process. Yes, it's a bad look either way, but that was my (clumsy) point. Carry on.

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. utilityman

utilityman New Member

Disappointing to see the word "lynchpin" in story on minor league baseball in latest issue. Terrible timimg. The word is "linchpin" There's no masthead or listing of editors to contact so they could at least fix this on the web.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

With that original Pocoroba story by Bill Shanks, it wasn't just the mistakes and typos, but the story read like a fourth-grader's school report -- one the fourth-grader didn't really want to do, and just did it to get it over with. Did that guy ever write a news story in his life before this?

Woody Long and matt_garth like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted