1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People do things all the time without consideration or regard (and in some cases, with no care) for how it might impact someone else or make them feel.

We're all guilty of it to one degree or another.

Some people are just jerks.

If you have walked through the Ramble, you know that behind the paths you stay on, it's the last couple of acres in Manhattan of the wooded area and terain that existed before people overran the island. There is obviously a reason why they want dogs leashed back there. If the guy is telling the truth, he told her that dogs are supposed to be leashed, and rather than consider why that might be a rule, her immediate response was essentially, "The dog run was closed, so I am going to do what I want." So even before the "African-American male threatening me" thing, this woman was just doing what she wanted, without regard for how it might affect others. It's definitely one way to be if you live in NYC. If you've ever seen the confrontation between the asshole trying to cut the line while everyone is waiting for their morning coffee and the person who draws the line, you realize this was probably more of a version of that than it was intended to be a racial incident. Confront someone and you never know what they'll say or do when they go into "outraged" mode.

But again, I don't know this woman or what's in her heart (or lack of it).

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

couldn't help but think of this today

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

"Thoughts on Forgiving Darth Karen" from VSB

I just read this and am going get over my "A***, your daughter is gonna grow up to cry over the Indians and N******" self and rein in my fairly toothless and possibly useless privileged outrage.

Also, as a birder, I'd be siding with Mr. Cooper regardless. Owning my prejudices here.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The security cameras at my home yesterday triggered shortly after I left for work; in accessing the files I discovered a vagrant was snooping around on my property so I turned around and headed back to find him, which I did, walking down the street (where he was looking into parked cars). I called the police and went through the usual questions when the dispatcher asked what did he look like. I gave a description of height, weight, age, clothes, backpack and she asked, "is he white? Hispanic? Black?" I said, I don't know, but he was darked skinned. She replied, "OK, but would you consider him Hispanic? Black...?"

I found it odd that she was pretty insistent that I add the label to his skin color.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At least she asked "white?" first. :)

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That’s nothing different than describing his shirt color.

Now, if he was white and you don’t call the cops but you call the cops if he’s black, then there’s a problem.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

“Let’s talk about this Jesus fella that all the liberals are boo-hooing about. They keep saying he was a prophet! A rabbi! And get this, the messiah. That’s there narrative. Convenient they leave out him and his buddies stealing a donkey last week on their way to Jerusalem or smashing up the temple. The leftist, Jewish run media won’t tell you about that. They don’t want you to know. Well, yeah, maybe nailing him to a cross was out of hand, but led me tell you. He was dangerous and he could have gotten a lot of good Romans and Jews killed. And what was he doing the past 30 years? No one knows. Or they won’t say! Maybe he was In prison? Or a leper? We may never know. And yeah, I guess my heart goes out to his family and friends, but maybe they should have been thinking about ways to keep him out of trouble.” — Fox Judaea Transcript, circa 30 AD.

Patchen and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I uased GSH as a soundbed on a NFL Films-style highlight reel I produced in high school.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted