1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Robin Roberts?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No. He is second.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Bert Blyleven.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Considering he pitched forever for multiple teams and couldn't break the speed limit, Moyer has to be up there.....

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Nolan Ryan

Eevry MPH is six feet of distance.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I looked up Blyleven thinking it was him. He gave up 50 HRs in '86 and 46 in '87. Crazy. He also walked 101 batter in '87 with 196 strike outs in 267 innings.

He never gave up more than 24 HRs in any other season, he just pitched forever.

BTW, he "only" gave up 430 home runs.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Steve Trachsel?
    I know it's not him, it's just worth pointing out that that guy never met a baseball he didn't want to give away as a souvenir in the left field seats.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jamie Moyer gave up 522 homers, an MLB record.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll piggyback Micro. Blyleven's 50 home runs allowed is the most in a season in the AL and MLB. What pitcher gave up the most home runs in a season in the National League?

And who are the AL and NL leaders in career home runs allowed?

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Was there a stat way back when that some pitcher gave up a lot of home runs, but it wasn't all that bad because they were mostly solo? If you were going to give up a run, a solo home run was "better" because if three hits are required to produce a run, they turn over the lineup and the good hitters get to bat again sooner. Or something like that.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My brother would say that home runs can be rally killers because they slow momentum and give a pitcher the chance to reset with no one on base.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

SMH

Draft saved Draft deleted