1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Worth noting the amped-up police response to the protests in Minnesota versus those in Michigan.

sjm-264_74219854.jpg

5cd81091-7c79-4b4a-8b90-19b363e45948-large16x9_AP20121756206695.jpg

1590543450_15892941+2gas052720.jpg

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It isn't.

But he's still the only person associated with the murder of Eric Garner to go to jail.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

And y'all still don't think Amy Cooper was trying to get Christian Cooper killed? Okay, then.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think she grew up with people never telling her “no” and she was doing whatever she could to get her way without really considering the consequences.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

Good point. Still, how can anyone live in this time and not think about the implications of saying over and over that they were being threatened by "an African-American man?" That's what gets me. She doesn't just identify him as a man. She repeatedly mentions his ethnicity.

Edit: Unfair to New Yorkers.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Does she call the cops if the man asking her to put the dog on a leash is white?

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

None of us know for sure. Maybe she was trying to get him killed. Maybe she was annoyed with him and trying to get him in trouble with the law, cost him money and grief. Maybe she's just a spoiled-ass rich bitch. Maybe she's a decent person who had a real bad day, but the video argues against that.

Given how it worked out, I think she's probably taken sufficient punishment and can serve as a bad example.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I doubt it. It would have been just another youtube rant.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So, as always, I am not in this woman's head.

But my guess is she was very focused on herself and the drama she created in her head, not on specifically trying to fuck with a black man.

If I am right about that, the "African-American male threatening me" wasn't about her trying to frame a black guy, it was about her going right for what she thought were code words to get the dispatcher at 911 to take her call seriously.

The irony might be in that going for the stereotype, she made herself into a stereotype.

10. OscarMadison

It's the use of code words. You're right about not knowing what was in her head. The use of the code words... May she is so far in her own bubble that she doesn't think about the implications. I kind of hope she's that clueless, but her actions show someone who gets evil when she doesn't get her way.

Would she have taken any responsibility if something bad had happened to Christian Cooper? Even financial loss or career disruption could be dire. Given her "I'm sorry you're upset" apology, I doubt it. I'm crawling inside the head of a pretend Amy Cooper again, so who knows?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look many times we never know because who admits anything? I don’t get wrapped up in “do I know what they meant?” What we get to do, and the responsibility they have, is the standard is “knew or should have known.” Ms. Cooper doing what she did, knew or should have known that her actions were despicable and would cause her serious consequences. She did the act and must live with the consequences. She had a choice.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're right.

But it's not like you can say, "There's a guy with a mask . . . !" and accomplish anything these days. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted