1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Agreed. But for many schools like Appalachian and East Carolina, football is all what they (we) have. Without that, there is NO visibility. And FCS is a waste.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Where is the value in whacking indoor track but not outdoor track? Is it worth it to save travel expenses? Because that's the only line item I can imagine that you'd save. Am I wrong?

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What they’re really costing is the track team members an opportunity to extend college out to six years by only doing outdoor one year and indoor the next.

4. tapintoamerica

I have wondered about this. You probably know better than I do. Is it better for App football to go to the New Orleans Bowl every year or to play for a national title every so often? I'm sure the ratings are better for the fifth-tier bowl from a fifth-tier conference than for anything in the FCS, but in terms of pride, wouldn't you rather play for a real title than play in the New Orleans Bowl?

5. tapintoamerica

Executions by the Numbers
    Total teams: 22 (0 by Power 5 members)
    By geography: 20 in the Eastern time zone, 2 in Central
    By gender: 16 men's teams, 6 women's
    By sport: Baseball 3; mens tennis 3; women's tennis 3; men's indoor track 3; men's soccer 2; 1 each for men's cross country; men's swimming; women's swimming; men's outdoor track; women's outdoor track; wrestling; men's lacrosse; men's golf.
    10 total institutions

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

One thing the baseball story lacks is a comment from the university about whether salvation of the program is actually possible. Seems to me they'd need to produce a decent chunk of the cash pretty quickly. But I'd like to know if that's the case.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, they also need a lot more money.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Plus, two of the three are private schools (not VCU). This pandemic and the accompanying economic shutdown is going to hit state budgets hard in the next couple of years, and that could affect overall funding for public universities.

EDIT: VCU is public, but point still stands.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

VCU is public.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

"....required donation..."

If it's required, it ain't a donation.

12. tapintoamerica

Saying the quiet part out loud, aren't they?

Flip Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted