1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian's Song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 30, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always lost it when Sayers struggled to spit out, ". . . and give it to him at the hos...pital . . . "

And forget anything with an animal dying. I'll watch humanity exterminated in "Independence Day III" first.

lakefront and Liut like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the 1976-77 period BP's younger brother was a TV sportscaster who I knew briefly. He willingly admitted his brother's fame helped him get started in the profession. Have no idea how long he lasted in that career.

Liut likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shitfuck. I read that column and cried my eyes out. That one left a mark.

Liut likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Met Sayers for a brief interview back in the day, he was in town for a store appearance and my SE asked me to get a quote from him about some NCAA stuff since he was a former AD - I was like "Man, Gale Sayers!" Also met Dick Butkus years later. Two legends. Had any film really portrayed football players as "human beings" before Brian's Song?

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wonder what has become of Drip?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Interesting question: the documentary about Lombardi and the Packers in the 1960s showed a more human side to them, but after that my mind is coming up with hero stuff like Knute Rockne All American and scathing farces like Horse Feathers.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Paper Lion showed them (mainly Karras) to be a lot more interesting than you'd think - but not so introspective.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of my favorite books as a kid was "Where the Red Fern Grows." Forgot about impact so read it to my two boys and they are forever pissed that I read that to them (because of the dogs dying.)

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. BTExpress

There was a made-for TV Christmas movie when I was about 8 or 9 about a Harlem family. Kid adopts a cat and takes care of it. His friends (I forget why) start messing with him and take the cat. Kid chases them, and one of the friends falls as cat escapes into the street . . . and gets hit by a car. Just killed me.

Starring the recently passed Ja'Net DuBois.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One of the channels we frequently watched when the entire family was on school/work from home is one that had the long commercial about fighting animal cruelty and abuse. The shots they had of the dogs in tiny cages and chained up in disgusting conditions had me in tears more than once.

11. BTExpress

They still show those on the old-people channels I watch. I change channels immediately. And hug whatever animal is on the couch with me.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly, BT. I can't stand for the rescue dogs we have to be in the room and see the entirety of that commercial.

Draft saved Draft deleted