1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know a woman named Karen. I used to work with her and she is someone I respect. I can't imagine her ever pulling a stunt like that. So Karen is not a Karen. That said, I can't help thinking of her when I hear and read these stories.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who names their son, Karen?

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

They should suspend her for a week. By then the 24/7 news cycle will be long past her and maybe, just maybe, she'll not be such a bitch the next time.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sue's dad.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Basic fact, it’s not that hard to be a honest, good person. Racism is learned, not innate. Each of us has the same 99.9% DNA.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I completely disagree. Completely. There isn't anything in this world that confirms that. And I think I know that because, before this particular incident, I'm guessing Amy Cooper landed on the "honest, good person" part of the quadrant for at least half of the people who knew her and, based on that incident - which may very well be the worst thing she's ever done - she's neither

Nah. It is hard. The definition of good and honest is so broad and all-encompassing that it changes from person to person.

I'd agree that racism is learned. The human tendency toward "isms" is innate; what I'd call sin.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a great question and one I deal with all of the time as an employment lawyer without any clean answer. When are you allowed to be a private person and not the representative of your employer when your actions are unrelated to your work functions?

Leaving aside whether she committed a crime (let’s assume she didn’t) are you allowed to be bigoted or sexist in private? What does it have to do with being an accountant or an engineer? Companies have relied on the fact that this type of behavior damages their reputation. And the fact that everything is recorded in print and video obviously makes it worse but I get really queasy as to the logical end result of this way of thinking.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Morality clause.

And reporting a false crime is a crime.

12. DanielSimpsonDay