1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The confrontation occurred outdoors.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interactions between black men and the police often turn violent - regardless of her specific intention when she's placing the call.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I am grateful for your perspective. It would be nice if that were true everywhere. People still get followed in stores and sometimes harassed for WWB, DWB, DWP, and so on here. I was looking at the incident through that filter.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is just a huge chasm between what I read here with the STAY THE FUCK HOME people, and what I am encountering in real life. I was in an Ace hardware store yesterday in suburban LA County, a so-called hot spot. A guy was in there complaining to nobody in particular what a sham this is, the six feet, the plexiglass, the store closings. He wasn't a full on asshole, he just sounded more exasperated than anything. I hear that echoed with a lot of people I know.
    People in North Carolina certainly don't seem interested in following CDC guidelines.

I don't know what the answer is. All I know is that a lot of people think this is a joke. I have said, I have a decently wide circle of aquaintences, I know of one person who had the coronavirus, and she is a nurse at a hospital. I think most people are in the same boat as me.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That was my whole point, and forgive me if I didn't convey it correctly.
    I was trying to point out that if we don't curb mob mentality, we will soon go from the one in the NY store to the one I described.
    Look at the recent shooting of the guy in Georgia. A similar situation almost happened in N.C. a few weeks ago where an armed mob - including an off duty deputy - descended on someone's house because they thought a girl was being held hostage. Turns out she wasn't AND they even went to the wrong house.
    Four decades ago, Bernard Goetz was an outlier. Today, he's an amateur.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

@poindexter in the rural states most people don’t know anybody who has had it. That’s why they are so lackadaisical.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

To date, 229 of every 100,000 NC residents has tested positive for Trump’s plague. That’s the historical rate and not necessarily the current prevalence of the virus. If we use this number as a baseline — and I don’t know if that is reasonable or not — nine of these cretins should ultimately test positive. So if we see that 10 of them test positive in the coming weeks, that doesn’t by itself constitute a big deal. If, on the other hand, several dozen get sick, you have a national story.
    No matter what happens, this is something to follow.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I drove a couple hours to the hearta "Land Mass Virginia" this weekend to see friends and socialize in backyards. I looked like an alien wearing a mask in Sheetz and Kroger there, but oh well. Fairly certain Northam is going issue a statewide mask order for inside businesses today. I'm fine with that. Takes it out of the hands of each individual business to try to have to enforce their own regulations. I did go to one restaurant to have beers on their patio on Saturday.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I hope they don’t “catch” COVID 19. It would be good to know we can gather at sporting events safely.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Gavin Newsom said in March that if physical distancing protocols didn't take place, that 56% of Californians would have been infected by May. In hindsight, it looks like hyperbole.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just got my antibody test results. Positive. I had it in March. I lost sense of smell and taste and had shortness of breath for about three weeks with one trip to the emergency room (with a doctor who decided not to test me given the lack of tests at the time), so I knew it was likely.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Glad you recovered.

Draft saved Draft deleted