1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is very interesting editorial about ending the COVID 19 “quarantine.” I had not thought about these things in this way until now.

It is time, perhaps, to return to life.

Coronavirus: I was in the stay-home-until-it's-safe camp. But I just can't take it anymore.

“But to the chorus from the left: No, reopening the country due to economic considerations is not the same as saying money is more important than human life.

“We face economic realities every day, independent of the coronavirus. Gun violence, drunken drivers, transmissible diseases and a panoply of other dangers could all be brought to a screeching halt if we locked down indefinitely. But a life of home confinement is not a world in which most of us would want to live.”

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fair price? Depends on who you ask. I personally don't feel bad for her. I think it's the perfect kind of informal punishment. She is probably whining to people today about how her life has been ruined and how unfair it is and how she is being unfairly characterized as a racist. After all, she gets along great with her coworker Nichelle, so how can she be a racist? If I am sizing her up right, she's the type of woman who lives to be a victim, so this kind of punishment is undoubtedly causing her even more anguish in that she may be insistent that she's being wronged. If I am wrong about her, and she learns anything from it, great.

I can't speak for what is in her head, but I have met women like her, and seen them in action behaving that way, and I know NYC.

My guesses. ... Was she scared of him? I doubt she ever actually stopped to consider if she was really scared. I mean, she immediately created drama in her own head, so maybe she was scared, but if she was, it wasn't based on any objective reality. She was exposed to way freakier people in Central Park that day than a geeky, 50-something bird watching Dudley DoRight. And I doubt she called the cops on any of them.

There is sort of a permanent anger / chip-on-the-shoulder in people like her, and they default to drama queen and victim at the blink of an eye. If she was scared of him, it obviously wasn't for anything he did in the video. Supposedly he had tried to give her dog something to eat, and most people if a stranger did that, would have gotten the hell away from the guy. But she came toward him in the video, so she couldn't have really have been scared, if you think it through.

Using race to get what she wanted? Of course. She called 911 and it's obvious she thought the code words "African American male" and using a voice like there was a knife to her throat would give more force to her claim. But I'd guess it was more about her being a drama queen and turning herself into a victim than her looking to target black men.

Did she go after him because of his skin color? I doubt it. If he hadn't provoked her outrage by having the temerity to ask her to put the dog on the leash she would have taken her pissed off act somewhere else. Once he did engage her, though, yeah, "African American male threatening me" wasn't any problem for her.

qtlaw, Mngwa and OscarMadison like this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You think it would have ended well for the guy with the smartphone if the police were close enough to get there right when she was throwing her hissy fit? I want to live on your timeline.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two churches here have warned parishioners they were exposed to C19 on May 17 - the first day they could reopen.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The gears of our great economy must be lubricated with the blood of Covid victims and the tears of their families.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

don't feed the troll

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you might be surprised. I know the default is for people to assume cops / black guy / woman pointing a finger / brutality.

But I feel like I know both of them. Those kinds of people are a staple in Central Park during the day.

If I know them like the back of my hand, any cop who would have been around there knows them. So I actually would guess it likely would have gotten handled with annoyance and an eye roll from any cop who was nearby. Likely ending with, "Why don't you put your dog on the leash, Ma'am?"

When things go wrong with cops and black men, it's usually not in a setting like that. Maybe the East Village, where a bunch of people have gathered on a corner. Definitely in a subway station in East New York. But a cop in that situation would have likely seen "older geeky guy" before they saw "black thug." And they likely would have sized her up pretty quickly, too.

8. Jerry-atric

There is more to the world than COVID 19, unfortunately. The editorialist explains that if everyone stayed home, there would be no car accidents. COVID 19 may be part of life for some time. We most be careful with masks and hand sanitizer, although the economy must start again.

9. Jerry-atric

Also, many New York officers are African-American gentlemen themselves.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That doesn't reverse the scenario. It totally changes it.

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are multiple important distinctions between your scenario and what we saw in that video. For one, we didn't see any evidence of the person being surrounded or having anyone block their path as they tried to leave.

More importantly, wearing your mask does not potentially expose anyone to the virus. Not wearing it does. The person in the video was violating the state order to wear a mask in public and doing so inside, where it is more likely the virus could be spread.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was struck by the way she sounded more and more hysterical as the call went on, but made no effort to leave. I also think it's a bit much to think she was trying to get the guy hurt or killed. I do get the accusation of racism given how she brought it into the call so quickly. Does she deserve to lose her job over this? That seems to be a bit much, but the public embarrassment seems to be deserved.

Draft saved Draft deleted