1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Trying to get someone killed" is an exaggeration.

She's paying a price, though. She is getting the NY Post treatment today -- front page on their website. Plus, her job @ Franklin Templeton put her on leave.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Plus, filing a false police report is a crime as well.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Never sure why folks like her even want to live in New York City.

As a point of local activity and interest, the Ramble has a long history.

In Central Park, a Birders’ Secluded Haven Comes With a Dark Side

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Let's reverse the scenario.
    I'm wearing my mask in the store, and 3-4 MAGA hat dudes start harassing me. I ignore them and move along. I turn the next aisle. A couple of their buddies hear the commotion and block the way. The first group surrounds me from behind. I'm blocked in by a by a bunch of yahoos front bad back and in the confines of grocery shelves on either side. They continue to close in, shouting, and making threats.
    That situation just got turned up to 11 in a hurry, and it's probably not going to end well.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Me neither. Although the city is filled with her, so I think of her as being as much NYC as Curtis Sliwa is.

I am starting to hate the "Karen" meme. It's being used in an"every white woman who acts idiotically," way, and I am guessing the next step imminently is going to be women who don't act idiotically, but whom someone who is clueless or meanspirited wants to label.

Karen can't be the entitled middle aged, midwestern woman who votes R every election and whose facebook bio begins with "mother" . ... as well as being this woman with the dog in central park. They aren't quite the same person.

@Twirling Time If it was a choice, I am sure today this woman would pick the reporting a false police report and the misdemeanor charge that comes with it over her face being all over the Internet and being called a racist twat.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

So Youve Been Publicly Shamed: A Journey Through the World of Public Shaming by Jon Ronson

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

She is paying a price. Is it a fair one? I don't know. And while death may not have been her goal, the quickness with which she went to a "an african-american male" is sort of the foundation of so many of the things wrong in America right now. And she hit it as often as she could, hysteria escalating, as the call progressed. He had his phone out and was filming her, after she violated the rules, for crap's sake. My question... was she really that scared of the black man or was she intentionally using race to get what she wanted? And why didn't she just leave if she felt an imminent threat? I think the fact that I have to ask those questions makes me think she deliberately went after him because of his skin color.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This from a local reporter after CNN interviewed a bunch of kids partying on the beach on the Alabama coast. Predictably, the comments are full of people saying that they went looking for these quotes instead of talking to people who were distancing themselves. Of course, the people not obeying the rules were the story.

That said, if college administrators are not taking this sort of thing into account, they're idiots too.

9. Neutral Corner

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"There are many things more precious than life."--theologian R.R. Reno.

11. Neutral Corner

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted