1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The ages are pretty easy to find. Whether it's legitimate or not I couldn't tell you but they are pretty open about their age and rugby background.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

And, as you probably know, they're still paying their old AD.

I'm worried about NC State as well. Don't have the donors that UNC/Duke have. They did recently get a new Wolfpack Club president. He needs to saddle up to James Goodnight, though that ship might have sailed.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Nah, not really.

It has to do with the NCAA's illegality, its thievery and that sort of business.

Don't insist on overthinking this, dear Alma.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not worried at all about NCSU. And if the Wolfpack Club was sucked into a black hole, humanity would be better off.

5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Yeah They've got ACC TV money to fall back on so they're probably OK.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The way I see it, ACCN has put the conference's athletic department into the sort of territory where if they can't manage the resources, they're really doing something wrong.

Sure, a booster club helps ... Chapel Hill spent $21 million attempting to discredit the NCAA while the multi-decade academic fraud investigation was ongoing and another eight digits to write a check to send Larry Fedora packing. But I suspect smart budgeting will help departments not only meet budget, but salt some cash away for a rainy day, to pay off the balance of a high-profile coach's contract or maybe a pandemic.

And NCSU will need to lawyer up trying to defend $40K Adidas reportedly handed Dennis Smith Jr. through Orlando Early and other such things during Mark Gottfried's tenure.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But the Pack is really gonna be good this year. This is their year. I read it in The Maven/SI. So it has to be true and not written with any hint of boosterism.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m not @The Big Ragu, but I’m pretty sure that’s Deutsche marks.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Iowa State games are going to be exclusive.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would pay Pitt to be restricted from attending games and being around that idiot fanbase.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I
    Will student tickets be sold?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

College sports would be far better in the long run if more conferences adopted the MAC's streamlining/elimination of conference tournaments and then maintained those formats after the virus has abated.

What is Iowa State going to do about visiting players families? No tickets sold to the visiting team?

Draft saved Draft deleted