1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretty sad story all around. Wife then dies of apparent suicide and daughter dies of the measles all within eight years.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Who was the first National League DH to hit a homerun?

3. micropolitan guy

The only team in the last 60 years to win a World Series with no right-handed batter with more than six homers was ...

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now THAT is an obscure trivia question!

5. micropolitan guy

I bet you will be shocked at the answer. One of the more notable and memorable clubs in that span, with four future MLB managers, three HOFers and numerous other notable and accomplished players.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As ridiculous as it sounds, the '61 Yankees? To my quick recollection, all their power hitters were left-handed.

7. micropolitan guy

No, Howard, Skowren, Boyer all had more than six. But you are in the ballpark, so to speak. I'll have the answer later today if no one gets it.

8. micropolitan guy

Thurman Munson, Lou Piniella and Cliff Johnson led the right-handed hitters on the 1978 Yankees with six homers each. Bucky Fuckin' Dent hit five, but needed 163 games to do it. Lefties Reggie Jackson and Graig Nettles hit 27 each to lead the team; Chambliss had 12, Rivers 11, switch-hitter Roy White had eight and Jim Spencer had seven.

I always thought Munson was more of a power hitter but he only hit 20 homers once, in 1973. He played in 16 World Series games and had at least one hit in 15 of them.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since 1893, five pitchers have held the MLB career strikeout record. Who are they?

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Ryan, Carlton, Walter Johnson are three. Going to guess Kid Nichols and Cy Young as the other two?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Figured this would be an easy one.
    You got four of the five. Kid Nichols is incorrect.

The lineage went ??? (retired with it in 1893)-Young (1907)-Johnson (1921)-Ryan-Carlton-Ryan-Carlton-Ryan, etc. (1982).
    I was wondering if anyone would remember Ryan and Carlton going back and forth with it for about a year, which might make them the only players in MLB history to hold one of the major career pitching or hitting records on multiple occasions. Gaylord Perry also passed Johnson in 1982, but he was behind Ryan and Carlton the entire time.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Atlanta Hawks franchise originated in this city. What city was it?

Draft saved Draft deleted