1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's awesome. What a find.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Was hoping I could get Manning/Woods today to make up for my losses in Super Bowl 50.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Live betting on the match was great today. Brady was easy to bet against early and Tiger was pretty locked in. Also bet both teams to miss the first green in alternate shot. Tough format, and that course wasn’t forgiving.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hit it big with the hole out from off the green and the will there be an eagle bets.

5. exmediahack

My books didn’t have live for it.

On the race, I’ve got Truex to win at 7-2 and Keselowski 16-1.

6. exmediahack

Pay dat man his money. Good night now.

MileHigh and playthrough like this.
  7. MileHigh

And TNT was pushing it pretty good on-air. I think we'll see a lot more of that going forward.

8. exmediahack

Live betting on golf will be a massive handle for the books that do it.

Especially on each hole. You get about a 2-minute window between holes. Can have: WOODS - Hole 6 - Eagle +1200. Birdie +300. Par -200. Bogey -250. Double bogey +1100.
    On basketball and football, the 10-second lag from live to TV is apparent.

When the total goes down a point in basketball, that means there’s a miss and a defensive rebound or turnover. In football, when the spread jumps 4-5 points, that means, on TV, someone is about to score a TD on the next play.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We’ll see more of that going forward, along with commentators that don’t really know what all that means. “Only 33 percent think Mickelson/Brady will win this hole” ... eh, not necessarily. Bettors might just be hunting value. You can also bet on a hole being halved, which of course happens all the time but is less sexy for on-screen odds.

MileHigh and Webster like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it will be a little harder in regular tournaments where they bounce from group to group. Even the leaders sometimes have their shots on delay.

11. MileHigh

Peter Kostis, after he got dumped by CBS, said something like 75 percent of the shots shown on TV are on tape delay.

12. exmediahack

It’s a fear that the books have is on a team of a guy inside a venue talking in real time to someone on the outside with perfect reception placing bets right after or during huge play but before the books get to redo the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted