1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

qtlaw likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My aunt died Friday. My cousin is trying to figure out if it’s even possible to have a funeral due to all this. That’s gotten me thinking about how the lack of funerals might be affecting the public’s perceptions about this pandemic or maybe death in general.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sure. Our economy is wonky in large part because of hedge funds and the relentless hunger of shareholders.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It felt good to participate in one of my favorite pastimes today: lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings then go across at the parking lot and wander around Academy Sports for while, looking at all the things I'd like to have but not actually buying it.
    My wife and I always sit at the bar. We couldn't, obviously, so we sat at one of the bar top tables. Because we went right when they opened, we literally had the entire bar area of Bdubs to ourselves. No worry about catching something.
    That's the first time since early March we've been. When we walked in, our regular Sunday lunch bartender shouted that it was good to see us, and she didn't even ask what beer we wanted. She just served. We chatted her up for a while about the shutdown and working. She said it had been tough with no customers. Our bill was $26. I paid then slid her a $20 cash tip. She started to cry.
    I was a bad boy and didn't wear my mask into Academy (which oddly enough I did wear into CVS just before) because I figured the store was so big and not crowded, I could take my chances of not getting close to anyone, which I successfully did. If someone was in an area I wanted to be in, I'd just move along because I was just window shopping anyway.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe a lot of it has to do with Trump and “downplaying” COVID-19.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Academy Sports is my go-to place when wife needs her two hours in Hobby Lobby.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Enjoy Academy while you can. It’s not long for this world.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Condolences, man.

It’s not. We tried to work out the logistics when Mom died in April. We’re hoping that things will have normalized enough by the time her birthday rolls around at the end of October that we can have some sort of memorial get-together then.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Another here who lost a parent during all this. My father died of cancer in mid-March, right when the stay-at-homes were being started. We just had the interment on Friday, with only my mom, sister, my wife and our kids. Still who knows on a full memorial service. My mom said on Friday she wants to wait until she can hug people. I wouldn't be surprised if it's next summer before we have one. I've seen virtual services where the 10 or less are there in person then the rest is online, but that's not something we would have liked at all. It's OK for the most part, but definitely not a normal or even natural way of grieving. Weird times all around.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted