1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With sports gambling becoming more available and "accepted" by sports news outlets - I'm curious if there are guidelines on which people can bet on sports and which ones can't. I have to think outlets have rules about people not reporting on things they have a financial interest in - and I'm not sure which might be worse, a straight news beat person using inside info to aid his or her gambling or a commentator having their views on a player or team colored by an unfavorable betting outcome. Granted, the commentator/hot take people are a cess pool of influence peddling/conflict of interests.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's a really good question. I don't have "access on the inside" as when I was in sports but I'm very comfortable putting in action on the teams/programs within 100 miles. I know their tendencies. Whether the recruits are any good, etc.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm still in sports but don't have any inside access since I'm not on a college beat. The closest team to us is an FCS school and there aren't any lines on those games for football, and hardly ever any for their basketball games.
    I could see an employer forbidding their college and pro beat reporters from betting on the teams or conferences they cover. That doesn't seem unreasonable. But if I'm covering high school sports at a rinky dink paper, I don't see why it should be an issue.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how any "no gambling" mandates can really be enforced, if someone's betting and not being obnoxious about it. Purdue University put in a policy where employees can't bet on Purdue games -- but if everyone's got an app and are pretty much anonymous, how do you catch someone? Can you block the sites from operating on university property? In which case you're just forcing people to walk 50 feet off campus.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Doosan train is chugging at full speed again. 10-6 winner.

7. exmediahack

Can’t complain about a 3-2 week after 6-0. Maybe I’ll just lay off their games against the Dinos.

My records show they’re 13-4 to the over. Big hitters and also weak pitching doesn’t solve itself. A total player’s dream.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  8. exmediahack

Doosan opens at 11.5, 12 and 12 at my shops. Gulp. Gimme the over.

9. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

What are the nascar plays for Sunday? Truex? Kurt Busch has a lot of value. Logano?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Truex has won two of the last four Coca-Cola 600s. Kevin Harvick is hot and has won it a couple of times. Kyle Busch won it in 2018 and is always a contender. All three of those guys are around +600 odds.
    Chase Elliott might be a good bet. He was closing in on a win Wednesday night at Darlington, and finished fourth in the 600 last year.

11. exmediahack

Doosan loses 13-0. But I win.

playthrough and MileHigh like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Korean beer-league softball! Back at it Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted