1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

upload_2020-5-23_11-40-34.png

I just got this. It's the scene in the parking at one of our local high schools last night.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It’s good to see the kids able to see their friends again. They look very relieved. This has been a difficult time, especially for graduating seniors.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is so frustrating to me. Why is Douglas County good but nowhere else is? And is Douglas County actually OK? This lack of consistency is maddening and why you'll never get people on board with precautions full scale ever if they are needed now or down the road. There just aren't standards.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's a pack of dumbasses who think it's a hoax.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe teens are not thinking about it that way. They simply look like they have missed their friends. The groups appear to be practicing some social distancing. It is nice to see some smiles on their faces. They have had a difficult few weeks.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Some neighborly advice from Senator Paul: don't worry about teachers, staff or relatives.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Good to see testing positive changed Rand.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Beyond frustrating. And the timetable for Douglas County was ... immediately. It's like picking names out of a hat.

Douglas County today. On Wednesday, Fremont County got the reopening nod. Eagle and Mesa counties earlier. I'm told that on Monday, restaurant guidelines will come out and Polis will allow restaurants to reopen throughout the state starting Wednesday.

But bars and nightclubs won't be allowed to reopen. But not breweries, which are huge in the state? Don't know about gyms and churches -- though those can reopen in counties that have been granted variances.

It's so scattershot.

Meanwhile, CHSAA will lift the moratorium with strict guidelines to allow for the resumption of in-person conditioning sessions starting June 1.

CHSAA lifting moratorium; strict guidelines for resuming in-person contact

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've been avoiding crowds LONG before it was considered cool. Stadiums, arenas, festivals, parades, standing on Times Square in 23-degree weather shouting "WOOOOOO!" on New Year's Eve? Eech.

But one-on-one interactions in uncrowded places to take care of things that need taken care of? Bring. It. On.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t feed the troll.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I have a hard time thinking it's not political in some way. Douglas County has been as much of a thorn in the side of the state this whole thing. And I'm not even saying it's necessarily wrong to do this, just the lack of consistency and standards. If they can open like this, shouldn't it be OK for the entire Front Range at least? It's going to be an interesting summer with all of this. Hope things continue to look good at least because it's going to be hard to reign back in if not.

And all their weird rules are just, weird. CHSAA I think has gotten a lot of pressure from individuals and coaches, many of whom have been working out anyway. I've seen it here at our high school. They aren't even hiding it! I guess with that in mind, we might as well just open. But I'd like to see similar rules across the board.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. People in the other metro-area counties are going to flock down to Douglas so they can go to the mall or sit inside or on a patio to eat a burger. Douglas has been a thorn. See Mother's Day at the Castle Rock restaurant. A meeting last night in Parker of hundreds of restaurant owners vowing to open this weekend in defiance of the rules in place.

Same thing down here with workouts. CHSAA most definitely is caving to pressure. Because it's only going to increase once we get closer to fall sports season, most especially football.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted