1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That sentence in the “tweet” does not match the column by Mr. Kristof, which explains that beaches and parks are known to be “safe havens” from COVID-19.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think you overestimate the media's contribution to health guidelines, and vastly overestimate its ability to "shut this motherfucking country down."

Remember, most newspapers struggle to remember if there's a spadia printing on Sunday's A section. Many TV stations struggle to turn on the right microphone or camera when someone's speaking. Leaders at those organizations are lucky just to keep the doors open another day. They're not orchestrating some sinister plot to take down Trump or the economy.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Remember, those who are not for Alma's point of view are against Alma.

At the same time, I'm reminded of the words of the late Charlie Stough, Chief copyboy at the Burned Out Newscreatues Guild Bulletin (and I'm papaphrasing here): The Media Conspiracy meets on Tuesdays except during tournament season.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Public health officials watch and read national media which, aside from a few outlets, has been pretty pretty consistent here.

At any rate, I think there are other influences. I listed some. But there is no particular advantage to a public health official being permissive. None. You will not get credit for it, and you may get shamed or judged.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People don't want to be told to restrict themselves. Elected officials get a lot of pushback and grief for mandatory business shutdowns and shelter in place orders. And public health officials work for those elected officials.

You have these cartoon narratives that you like to repeat over and over again on here, but let's say the assumption you are making is true. ... that most public health officials aren't in their jobs based on their professional merits, and that they aren't just people trying to do the right thing. ... their actions get critiqued by people regardless of what they recommend. Put people in harm's way during a pandemic and they are open to second guessing. Recommend severe restrictions and they are open to criticism for overreacting.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just so we’re clear: Often, local public health officials have more power than elected officials on specific issues. They can, in some cases, override governors although that can become politically inexpedient and/or create gray areas for lawsuits.

Secondly, as I said, they deserve grace.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Contact tracing will never work in the USA.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This sounds perfectly Trumpian. Science says x, but Dr. Oz says y, so we'll do y. Think I'll take the word of scientists over the Podunk Fishwrap.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And yet these people carry smart phones and use Google?

OscarMadison, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope these Russian doctors never leave the first floor of their buildings.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What I'm questioning here is Clay Travis.

How does he know the models were bad? In what specific way were they bad? In what way do they account for Cuomo's faulty decision making?

And what does the press have to do with any of that?

Roscablo likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Especially during a quarantine.

Draft saved Draft deleted