1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at the Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

This is accurate. Tim is a very good guy. I hate seeing him get beat up on here and I know that none of this was easy for him. I’m guessing his choices every stop along the way of this unfortunate path were always the lesser of the evils. But the profession is going where it’s going, and Tim is trying to keep himself and his family afloat just like many of us are.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Keith Morrison, Dateline voice* IN FACT, it was the end for the Plain Dealer...oh yes, as the sun splashed on the windows, the shutters closed and a bleak darkness rolled in. One that would rock Cleveland TO IT'S CORE.

SFIND and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Dan Omlor

Dan Omlor New Member

What happened to the salaries of those Plain Dealer reporters who moved over to Cleveland.com? Did they stay the same or decline significantly? (I know they pay new hires much less, but what about experienced crossovers?) Are they paid a salary at all or just a per piece or per word stipend? Is it possible to earn a professional salary working at Cleveland.com?

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Given that several prominent Plain Dealer reporters resigned from the union three years ago in order to join Cleveland.com, I'd imagine that pay is very competitive.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What a fucking joke.

Not sure I'd ever call Cleveland a destination but the P-D once was a damned fine newspaper with great folks. Now it's just another shell in the Advance jar of baubles.

SFIND likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the times Advance told us, “this Internet thing, we got it”? They’ve just gutted stories nameplates left and right.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

LOL. Deadlines are so early they can't lead with the rioting. Because the story won't be timely at all and could be very inaccurate by the time the dead fishwrap hits the porches. So they put it on the front page and use the excuse that the timely story is on the internet site.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But given that the union is now broken we will see how long that lasts at Cleveland.com. Advance worked that hard to crush the union. Such organizational characteristics don't disappear. Instead they reemerge.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The Plain Dealer is dead. Anyone who thinks otherwise, well, you're wrong.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder what the New House family is going to do with Their chain. They don't appear to want to buy anything. Akron was sold to Gatehouse for 16 million a couple years back. If Advanced on the chance to buty Akron and consolidate then it is hard to imagine them investing in any regional clusters or other papers.

But other than New Orleans they have not sold. But is a business that seems to be increasingly consolidate or die I think at some point Advanced is going to have to either expand or get out.

12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted