1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Packing plants is actually what has me worried about reopening so quickly. It really isn't a hypothetical discussion about what could happen, we know what will happen. If places like schools, offices, dine-in restaurants etc just all of a sudden throw open their doors, we'll see clusters like we see at packing plants.

And I think the media is on about Gen X/Millennials largely because 1) they are already writers and can tell their stories (coherently), which in the day of shrinking newsrooms, is a boost and 2) because Gen X/Millennials are the groups that need to hear the story. It is easy (and I can pull up plenty of dumbases on my Facebook feed to attest to this) to say that this isn't going to affect me, so why am I "living in fear?" It's going to affect you because it could still make you pretty sick (especially for the mouth breathers who haven't said no to seconds in years) and it can spread to the people who more easily die from this. Which might be your point of "let's tell grandma's story of dying from the virus," except I think that's the crutch some are using to advocate for dropping all precautions. I don't know. That's my two cents, which given the cost of living in the SF Bay Area will only get you so far...

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The evidence mounts, from the Biogen conference in Boston to the choir of that church in Arkansas to the Atalanta soccer game that close quarters with sizable groups of other people + length of elapsed time = virus incidence. Alma's list wasn't complete, because it omitted prisons. Jamming together on the beach is foolhardy. Crowding together for a hour-plus church service is just asking for it.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our county started releasing info on businesses that have had outbreaks. Within the past week there have been three. Two were maybe along the meat packing lines, a Wal-Mart distribution center and the Anheuser Busch brewery. But the other was a Chick fil A.

No one should kid themselves on the types of places that might have outbreaks. Obviously places like meat packing plants are susceptible. But any business or gathering really is with multiple people on site.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are correct. Not every place is a mass gathering, and there are businesses that could return to kind of normal, mostly white-collar ones, but holy shit, anybody my age who'd sit in a church service or a restaurant or a movie theater better check on their wills, for the good of their heirs.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Have they done any contract tracing whatsoever to find out how the virus is being introduced into the meat packing factories? I understand why it spreads rapidly once it's in there, clearly the conditions have people working elbow to elbow for hours. But where is the tracing to find the sources?

6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that these guidelines, like rules governing pace of play in MLB, are followed for a week. The most powerful person in a good chunk of this country's high schools is the football coach. And if Coach Whoever says all this safety garbage is getting in the way of a winning team, it will be gradually ignored.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nowhere in those guidelines provide a path for normal practices -- or competitions -- for football. There are three phases. Phase 3 only gets to a modified practice for football.

But, this is a guideline from the national federation. This will be a state-by-state decision, as evidenced today by Georgia announcing a return for a partial return of football practices/conditioning on June 8. That's not happening here in Colorado.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Was it Greeley/Weld County/Colorado government or the Monforts, which is who used to own and run the plant back in the day (the guess here is they still do.

12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

A pine cone has more liveliness. A stalk of broccoli has more of a brain. A patch of AstroTurf from Riverfront Stadium, circa 1986 is more organic. And a coffee bean has far more soul.

At least with her husband, you can look at him and see something — stupidity, sloth, gluttony, laziness. With Melania Trump there is ... nothing. A hollow husk of a human being, perhaps because of the life she lives and the husband she has, but ultimately, a product of her own choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted