1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

From the story:

“ ... and the consequences of May’s reopenings won’t be felt until June at the earliest. This long gap between actions and their consequences makes it easy to learn the wrong lessons.”

Wondering if those retweeting the cooked numbers of Gov. Trumpfluffer in Georgia will look stupid in time.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

We have entered a dangerous period. I hold my breath for the safety of Georgia and Florida.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Unless there is a reported case spike on May 23, which will be eagerly shared celebrated here.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Inky_Wretch and Jerry-atric like this.
  5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's funny, I saw this tweeted just a minute ago and all sorts of people, or bots, were jumping on it and saying crap like, why should we believe this model when all the models have been wrong? Another really dumb common take right now. Has been for a while, but it hasn't gone away. But really, have the models been wrong? When that became the talking point it was because the IHME model first said 60,000 dead through the summer, and that one for some reason everyone took as gold probably because it was more optimistic, but was way different than the one that was originally used to tout shutdowns that said 100,000-250,000 dead total with social distancing. Well, guess where we are? Most current models have been pretty on with their numbers. In terms of modeling about hospital usage and ICU beds and vents, that's tougher, but it's hard to say social distancing didn't help hospitals big time. The average Joe isn't paying attention much to those figures anyway.

It's just amazing how dumb all these battles are. Numbers suck regardless and at this point it isn't changing for the better. It's not hard to say if we started earlier things might be better, but let's ignore overall reality.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Any numbers from the last two weeks are subject to change as reporting works through the system. The most useful thumbnail I have found is the seven day average new cases. If you look at that week over week you can get a pretty good idea of what is happening in a given area or nation wide.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  7. Jerry-atric

It would have been difficult to convince Americans to social distance a week earlier.

8. Neutral Corner

It's difficult now. Morons.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Realistically and hindsight and all that it should have been started maybe by February. Could you imagine the backlash if it had started then, especially with no numbers most could actually see? People don't seem to give a crap now and the numbers suck.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

12. Jerry-atric

I do not wear a mask outdoors when I am cycling. I wear a mask indoors at all times, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted