1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Vermont has 5 or 6 towns performing testing. You have to register and you do not have to have symptoms. Also 2 weeks quarantine for anyone coming from out of state.
    At the beach in SC our pool is open and renters from non hot spots (eye roll here) are allowed. My sister says that very few people are wearing masks.
    Here in northern CT, I am happy to report that just about everyone is wearing the masks. Of course I have mostly been to places where they are required.
    Just searched CT testing, looks like we have quite a few, some require a referral, some don't.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let’s see where the per capita numbers are in a few months if they continue with current protocols.

Some people were claiming Sweden had it right from the start. Maybe they just got lucky thanks to geography in the early stages.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Sweden has roughly the same population as North Carolina in an area roughly the size of California. Lots of small towns, lots of open space, less inclined toward public transportation and more of a car culture than the typical European country. The virus has hit old people and immigrant communities particularly hard. Edit to add: Stockholm is a secondary travel hub; most Scandinavian flight connections are handled in Copenhagen.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This graf really struck a note:

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

fuuuuuuck

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It should be percentage of new tests that are positive.

Colorado is down to about 10 percent. On May 1, it was about 20 percent.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good reporting and explanation of the different problems in different parts of the country.

And for you fellow alliteration nerds: "A patchwork pandemic is psychologically perilous."

10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Sorry for the individuals involved, and I hope it doesn't hurt the quality of the publication too much. Now I'll feel awkward when I make fun of their recent article about how racist crossword puzzles are.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Paranoid president punishes populace, pretends persecution

Pelosi "pounds" presser perturbs

Phony populist pushes plans, plunders

Putin's puppets: Pence, Pompeo

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There’s no gotcha, it’s only a gotcha if you’re willing to be led by the nose. Everything you learn is that one data point is a static point, it’s about what’s happening in the long run. Making a conclusion based on one data point is a great way to lose/die.

So it looked good prior to the last seven days, what if in the next 30 days it accelerates? That prior period is going to look like nothing but a harbinger before the crisis.

7 days is short but more than just one day. In the last 30 days, 7 is small but as the last week? It’s good data and ominous.

I’m not looking for a gotcha. I’m looking for data.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted