1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resistance Journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 19, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I collect spores, molds and fungus.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This comment isn't related to Farrow or Smith, but I found it interesting
    nonetheless:

I'm curious to know what her "system" was beyond meticulous fact checking.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did you read Catch and Kill? If not, go read it. Then come back and try to tell us that Lauer makes a pretty good case.

Matt Lauer actually is entirely full of shit. Ask Ann Curry. Ask the women he preyed upon. Ask the women whose careers were ruined because they wouldn’t put out for him.

Severian and TigerVols like this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't view it that way, at all.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m reading this as Ben Smith trying to undercut Ronan Farrow in advance of some reporting that’s going to make Smith look like garbage, and I just put some popcorn in the popper.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One thing about what Lauer wrote. I get that he wants to clear his name and he has an agenda. And I am certain that in response to what I am about to say, someone will go dig out 50 pieces in which someone wrote that Brooke Nevil was "brave" or "courageous," or find writers who called Matt Lauer a rapist. People wrote all kinds of things.

But my more vivid memory of the day the rape allegation broke was that despite Lauer's stained reputation at that point, I was reading a lot of stuff questioning the rape claim, because she said she was raped and then said she continued to have a series of what she called transactional encounters where she may have seemed friendly and obliging. ... with the man she was now accusing of rape.

At the very least, there certainly wasn't universal acceptance that Matt Lauer raped anyone. There was an allegation, and what seemed like an expansive definition of rape to a lot of people.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Could Lauer be a dirty scumbag and Farrow a journalist that expands the truth to fit a story? Yes.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there was a system beyond her own meticulous fact-checking. She reported every story twice.

"Famously" so.

Robin's work was meticulous. No detail was too small to confirm, and no task too minor to complete. And that, too, she saw as her responsibility, the responsibility of journalism. She famously developed her own fact-checking system, cleaning up every name and date and figure in her piece, something most reporters relied on others to do. And it's no wonder then that of her almost 2,000 articles, only 6 required published corrections. And knowing Robin, that was probably 6 too many for her tastes.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/DCPD-201600182/pdf/DCPD-201600182.pdf

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Farrow's NYer editor Mike Luo had a twitter thread on this yesterday:

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's unnecessary and unwise. But I see it too often, the thumb on the scale stuff. It happens all the time in those essayish commentaries where I guess it's OK to do because it's pretty clearly an opinionated projection (that I nevertheless often find troubling), but I think there's a bleed-over into the news side of such stories. Allegations suddenly have truth attached to them. Opinions become assertions become part of the official record. Being on the "right side" of something trumps being totally right about it. And undergirding all this is the promise of public fame and awards.

An outlet like the NYT, with the gravity to do it, could a bold, provocative thing: Stop submitting anything for awards. Just stop. And ban its reporters from appearing on any other news network. Once you cut deeply into the incentive to be a news star, you'd see a sea change. What's driving a lot of this is a desire for approval at parties - actual ones, and the daily virtual shindig on Twitter.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

this is the core of most of the issues I have with current discourse.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted