1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He and Pete Carroll host a podcast on the Ringer, and their most recent guest was Michael Lewis. A good 45 minutes of conversation. Kerr talked about how he read "The Inner Game of Tennis" twice a season, sometimes more, and how he modeled his game around Jeff Hornacek, once he was a pro.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yes so they took a guy that had went to four Final Fours, was a two-time All-American, two-time NCAA champion and Player of the Year in 1992. I still don't understand the issue with it. He was arguably the most accomplished college basketball player since Lew Alcindor.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

One of the Final Fours and champion Duke teams was extremely tainted.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I saw Laettner play for the Pistons what struck me was he didn’t seem very strong
    Next to the guys who lifted weights he looked like a stick figure

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I've always disputed that narrative of "The Flu Game." It was too convenient. The best player in the game, known for his theatrics, gets a stomach bug and has to be carried off the court after scoring 38 in the NBA Finals? Nah.

I believe Jordan was ill, but the details of this story have been embellished and getting the other side of it makes that more apparent.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jordan is a tremendous actor. He really showed off his chops in Space Jam.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sam Smith said on DP a week or so ago that it was "based on a true story."

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few things I found funny in there...

1) I get Horace being pissed about the implication that he was the source of "The Jordan Rules" but that's ALWAYS been out there. He was always suspected of that. And I'm guessing he probably was a source for some of it, just like a lot of guys. I suspect Phil Jackson was the biggest source.

2) Do people think the doc was hard on Scottie? Because I didn't think so at all. There are people who could have a legit beef, but I thought a lot of it was a valentine to Scottie. (And how do you question bringing up the 1.8 seconds with Scottie? It's absolutely a defining moment in who he is and how he is viewed.)

3) A lot of people have no idea what a documentary is, Horace Grant included. If you try to make a "so-called documentary" argument you have no clue.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Reagan MacNeal is not going to be happy with Mr. Grant, I can tell you that!

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I could have missed it but surprised that they did not interview or mention Bison Dele for the show.
    Perhaps not mentioned because it would have made Krause look good. Dele was an important cog off the bench in the playoffs after only playing 9 regular season games.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My guess is that was a rabbit hole not worth devoting time to. Got in the way of pissing on Krause.

Jerry-atric likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted