1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It'll be a while before I eat out anywhere. I am supporting local businesses with frequent takeout, though.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, office buildings, malls and airlines are gonna remain slammed.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Went to get my car inspected today, because even if they're not going to enforce expired inspection stickers in Virginia until July, I'm going to have to get it done at some point, so why not now (mine expires May 31)? They situated the chairs in the waiting room so no one could sit right next to anyone else. There were no cars in the dealer showroom, allowing for more tables for people to sit at if necessary.

I'm very curious to see what my gym looks like when it reopens ... still won't be for a few weeks yet, since we have to go to phase 2 before that occurs. I live like two miles away from my gym, but it's in the county not the city, so they're already in phase 1. From everything I've read, I am far less concerned now about the touchpoint stuff than I was a month ago. Not to say I won't be sanitizing equipment like crazy, but I'll definitely go when it opens again. I can do all of my cardio outside, and I'd have no issue lifting weights with a mask on if need be.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Looks like the haircut will have to wait.

Great Clips doesn't even answer the phone (because of demand). So no appointments. They don't do online check-in (because of demand). Online check-in map simply says "walk-in only, estimated wait 120+ minutes." Fuck that.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

May be at least another month here, so I'm letting it go.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I bought a used car about a month ago and was told it would be about 90 days for tags. The local gendarmes are making this a low priority.

My other issue of note has been trying to get some information from the IRS. Their online service isn't giving me the answers I need, reaching them on the phone is impossible, so finally talked to my Congressman's office and we're getting the ball rolling that way.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Made my online appointment when the partial reopening took effect on May 9. I finally get it cut tomorrow afternoon.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I called at 9:01 Monday morning. Can't even talk to a person.

Such a shame. I was looking forward to killing a few grandmothers this week. :(

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of this, but I never set up my apartment or even searched for one with the idea of a home office in mind. I'd rather my company, for instance, invest in allowing a stipend for employees for some home office furniture if we're going to be at home forever. I saw where Twitter has done that for its employees.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My fiancee works for Shell, and they got a stipend for it as well - a flat amount of cash to buy a second monitor, a desk and chair, etc. If they needed more, they could also expense it and try to get it approved, depending on the need. (A whole new computer? Probably not, but a chair, sure.)

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My desk setup is inadequate. Just not enough space. Honestly if I got enough for a new desk, I'd be good to go. We had extra monitors around since a lot of our clubs went away from in-club score posting kiosks, so everyone got a second monitor if they needed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted