1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He should have told Moscow Mitch, "Hold a vote, or I will say that the Senate didn't even want to bother holding a vote because Justice Garland is so unbelievably qualified and I consider that as advise and consent.”

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Mngwa likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have never seen an AG as baldly and unconcernedly corrupt as William Barr.

lakefront likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have been writing a variation of this since it happened. Since the Senate chose not to bother to advise, he would have to take that as their consent and put Garland on the court. If they wanted to challenge him legally, at the bare minimum, he would have forced them into taking some action. It would have been unprecedented and I'm sure it would have drawn plenty of fire, but it isn't nearly as bad as many of the things President Trump has pulled.

4. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

A lot of the headlines here give the impression that it's the IG who is actually doing the investigating. Just for the record, at least at State, the IG supervises a lot of inspectors, all or almost all reasonably senior career foreign service officers, who do the investigating and draft the reports. I assume the IG is very much in the loop on sensitive investigations, but if the IG is removed, the investigations can continue without too much disruption unless the new IG actively gets involved - which might happen in this case, of course. I assume that any actions the new IG might take to change the Saudi Arabia findings or the Pompeo inappropriate use of staff findings would leak pretty quickly.

5. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Anybody who criticizes Obama for allegedly (I haven't seen it) politicizing a commencement speech should be asked to read out loud with a straight face Trump's 2017 speech to the Boy Scout jamboree.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

before: “This is awesome! Our senator is doing our commencement speech! “ after: “holy shit, our senator is an idiot.”
    Seriously, did he run this by anybody with brains before he taped this?

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You haven't, because there hasn't been one. Until now. Because...#thecouphasalreadyhappened

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm so glad I watched it; well, the 2:55 that I made it through...because the Chuckle Hutt's been closed down for weeks and I've been jonesing for Open Mic Night For Morons.

HanSenSE and Fred siegle like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Stromcast:

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was also a shiftless speech.

Sea Bass and Fred siegle like this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the first African American president could have done anything but be a centrist. He was walking a very thin line for a lot of reasons and I think most reasonable people would understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.