1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When the revenue sports go down, they are not going to support the cross country and tennis teams. Oh well.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe that Ohio State is a profitable football program.

3. poindexter

Morgantown to Lubbock for a women's soccer game is one of the most insane things ever.

4. poindexter

I hope somebody thinks about the $500k weight coach salary in all this.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Show me a weight coach making $500k, and that will be the first. I'd be damn surprised if any one of them made even $200k.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have always maintained that the sport that could most easily be trimmed in scheduling is baseball. Is there really a need for the number of midweek games in college baseball? You could cut that total in half. While that wouldn't have a huge financial impact because these are short bus-trip games, it would help academically.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Iowa's strength coach makes $800,000

[Chris] Doyle's $800,000 outpaces the latest numbers for Ohio State's Mickey Marotti ($735,000), Tennessee's Craig Fitzgerald ($625,000), Clemson's Joey Batson ($600,000), Alabama's Scott Cochran ($595,000) and Texas A&M's Jerry Schmidt ($575,000).

College football: Iowa strength coach to make $800,000 annual salary

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think a strength coach on a football team ought to be making good money.

It's all the extraneous dinky-shit assistant coaching positions ("I'm strictly a running game coordinator!!!") that need to be eliminated.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

WVU volleyball travel schedule, 2019
    at Delaware
    at San Diego State
    at Hawaii
    at Texas Tech
    at Kansas
    at K State
    at Morehead State
    at TCU
    at Baylor
    at Texas
    at Iowa State

Financially, that's a lot of trips.
    Academically, I'm estimating they missed at least 14 days of potential classes. That number is lower if they all avoid Friday classes. Still, that's a big chunk of a semester.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I doubt it will happen, because the big boys have too much ego, but this needs to go back to being a regional sport. There's no Goddam reason for A&M and Missouri to be in the SEC. Colorado and Utah aren't Pacific coast schools. And yes, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse aren't Atlantic coast schools. The alignment we had in 2002 before the first conference raid was fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted