1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Several weeks ago I was listening to a medical expert who laughed about people who think they are in danger of acquiring COVOD-19 from a FedEx driver’s pen.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This. The fact I live in one of the less densely housed sections of a suburban town gives me leeway there. It is easy to avoid others while on foot. That's why I keep masks at the front door (in case someone comes to the door) and in my car.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I keep a disposable mask in my pocket or bike bag just in case I decide to stop in some place. I'll throw one in my golf bag today though I doubt I'll have any reason to use it. Clubhouse where I'm playing is closed.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The virus is transmitted via airborne and aerosolized form. Of course you can get infected outdoors. Just as you can get it by walking past someone while you are outdoors.

Distance and ventilation matter, so being outdoors is likely much less risky than being indoors in a crowded room. But if you are outdoors around a lot of people, it's not as if you can't get infected. Even outdoors, density of people is probably pretty important. It's common sense. The more people you are around, the more chance of transmission. Rather than relying on these silly hard-and-fast sounding rules, it makes more sense to me to just think about it logically and do as many things as possible to limit your exposure.

5. Jerry-atric

This is mostly what I am saying, too. I would probably not go to an NFL football game. But I disagree that you can catch COVID-19 walking or bicycling past a person outside. Maybe theoretically you could but in the same way saccharine could give lab rats cancer. 1 in a billion chances.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like this.

The mask may lower your risk of infection, but where it likely has the most effect is in keeping you from infecting others if you are an asymptomatic carrier.

To me, if you are around others and you wear one, it's a sign of respect for other people. It depresses me that most people don't want to consider it that way.

It's the golden rule for me. I want people treating me that way, so I will certainly treat them that way.

TowelWaver, swingline, Mngwa and 6 others like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

stop

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That outdoor ventilation worked well for all those Italians at that soccer game.

9. Jerry-atric

This is a good explanation.

Why you’re unlikely to get the coronavirus from runners or cyclists

“Rasmussen and Kasten both noted that a perfect sequence of events has to happen for a virus to jump from an infected passerby outdoors to you. The particles — enough of them to be able to kickstart an infection — have to spray out of the passerby with enough force to make their way over to you. The virus inside the particles has to survive while sunlight, humidity, wind, and other forces work to decay and disperse them. The particles have to land right in your upper throat or respiratory tract — or on your hands, which you then use to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth — and they have to get past all the barriers to infection in the respiratory system, like nose hairs and mucus. Then they have to dock up with your cells’ ACE-2 receptors and use them to enter the cells.

”This is a pretty arduous sequence to execute properly, and it’s even more difficult for the virus if everyone involved — say, both you and the runner in front of you — is wearing a mask. You can see why, if you’re standing outdoors several feet away from an infected person, the virus might have a hard time making its way over to you at a high enough dose to actually infect you.”

10. Michael_ Gee

Seated cheek by jowl with 70,000 people for two hours, all of whom are shouting, is not "being outside" as it's being discussed here.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Just got an email from one of the medical/hospital companies associated with my doctors, my eye doctors and surgeons in this case, telling me and all their other patients in a big big operation, Mass. General, please call and/or come in if you're feeling sick and it's not the virus. There's a cooperative ad campaign with all the major hospitals here urging the same thing. So they are worried this is an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted