1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Test came back negative. Now I get to spend two weeks in a one-room, 11m x 5m apartment to make absolutely sure that's the case. Leaving the room = $25,000 fine, six months in jail, and likely deportation. Good thing I'm an indoor kid.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

FNF ~

I had deleted that one before you replied. It was angry and unfair, and I realized it pretty much immediately.

I have stuff that needs doing, and I'm going to go work on it. OTOH, as both my wife and I are in the "They'll probably die anyhow" population, I get kind of bent out of shape about people who take a cavalier attitude about it.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good luck. Two weeks is a pain in the ass, but it's doable. Hang in there.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't get it. If you take all the precautions, social distance, stay in home, etc - how are you going to get it?

And for the record, I am 100% on board with masks, washing, no parties, big crowds, etc. Not sure why people have to paint with such a large brush that if you think a three extra month shelter in place order is too extreme FOR SOME PEOPLE - it doesn't mean I am banging the steps of the Capitol with my firearms.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am fortunate that Stellaris just got a big update and Kerbal Space Program was on sale for $10. I have time sinks aplenty for the next fortnight.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I know you didn't say it. Someone else did who I guarantee isn't on Twitter

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The truth is, mandatory shutdown policies vary wildly from state to state and even city and town to city and town. Case in point. Rhode Island has theoretically "reopened" but still bans gatherings of more than five people. Massachusetts is "closed" but the standard for gatherings is 10 people. This will only intensify as wildly different "reopening" concepts are gradually introduced everywhere. Should be noted that this introduction will require continuation of original emergency orders even as more and more businesses, churches, etc. reopen under new guidelines. It's very unlikely anywhere will have three more months of what the last two months have been like unless a location suffers a catastrophic flareup of the virus.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My point is going down the road of let's open up because it's only killing people with pre-existing conditions or are elderly is dismissing a group of vulnerable people because the healthy are bored is dangerously close to another man's ideas about the strong vs the weak.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I, too, feel badly for the hairdressers, barbers, tailors and dentists who want to work (especially the dentist who extracted my cracked tooth yesterday...so apparently some dentists are working here in SoCal). I also feel badly for their customers who have preexisting conditions, or their parents and grandparents who do, but are forced to stay at home because we still don't have enough tests available to check and see every day if that hairdresser, barber, tailor or dentist has COVID. Until then, keep the rules in place, IMO.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. poindexter

Unless you have your own cosmetology practice, work for a theater, run a yogurt stand, a tailor, work in the concert business, run a tavern, etc.
    Again, I am not saying all those should be open today.

But I have a lot of sympathy for these people, where their jobs and livelihood have gone up poof, through no fault of their own.

11. poindexter

They are dying already. The Shady Acres convalescent home is killing droves of people, whether the tailor gets to do alterations or not (like the last two months)

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, it's awful, no doubt. But these are the very kind of businesses that will have the hardest job convincing customers they're safe even when they reopen. Theaters, concerts, bars, I'm not sure I'll feel safe in those venues for years. That's just me, but every public opinion poll shows there's more people like me than not.

Draft saved Draft deleted