1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with very gradual openings. That's what we have in Virginia. We're going to "open" on Friday, which only means that you may make an appointment for a haircut or sit outside on a patio at half capacity. I know some businesses will operate this way. Others won't. Though we haven't been in "phase 1" yet, it certainly feels like we have. Plenty of people are out and about, grabbing takeout, mobbing Lowe's, going to parks, but for the most part, not congregating in big groups. I've seen churches hold services outside. And for the most part, our numbers have held steady. Our hospitals are not overrun. And that was the whole point to begin with -- not to stay at home until the virus burned out, but stay at home long enough to make sure the hospitals were good to go should a surge occur. Northern Virginia (Fairfax Co., Loudoun Co., Prince William Co., Alexandria, Arlington Co.) are not going to open at the same time as the rest of the state, because there are more cases up there than there are any place else in the state.

A continued "shelter in place" would be ridiculous. But hopefully the point is hammered home that gathering in large groups in tight spaces -- especially indoors -- is bad.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

and 20 deaths by healthcare workers in those facilities!

800/10,000,000 = .00008 or .008% have died so far. 8/10,000,000% of the population has (non facility) have succummed so far.
    So about 800 (non facility) deaths that we have no information about. I'd love to know the demographics on these 800.

Hey, you cosmetologists, dentists, barbers, tailors, et al: Fuck you.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

By all means, let's throw open the doors and hope for the best!

5. Spartan Squad

BTW, I'm acting like an asshole about this, but really I'm just pissed it even got to this point. There should have been a national plan in place and a way to shut things down, ramp up hospitals and engage in widespread testing and tracing to protect the most people. The fact the biggest metro areas in California haven't opened up is because we don't have the full capability yet to stamp down resurgence of cases is a criminal dereliction of duty by our president to keep this country safe. I also fully reject the idea that "they are just people with other conditions" because now we're saying if you're not strong enough to survive, then to hell with you. We're not at a level of crisis where humanity's future depends on the ability to make hard choices of who lives and who dies. We can save the vulnerable. I reject the notion that we have to get the economy open at all costs. At all costs can wreck the economy just as much if the work force gets sick.

Not every place is going to be New York City, or the Bay Area or LA greater area or any other population-dense region. They should make choices that respect their population while ensuring the safety of most people. The bigger regions should go slower because it ripping through those populations would be catastrophic. Well only 800 in the general population died out of 10 million is a fallacy because it doesn't take into account that social distancing and the SIP actually worked. Doubt me? New York with 8 million had 6 times the number of cases than LA County and 12 times the deaths. Yes population densities aren't comparable, but the point still stands: If it gets out of hand, this goes bad in a hurry.

Again, acting like an asshole because it shouldn't be like this.

Rant over.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks, TV. I appreciate that. I just left Singapore, actually -- I'm done with grad school and too old/American/unskilled in the ways of STEM and finance to find work in Singapore. Took a flight with more cabin crew (14) than passengers (12) and now I'm in Hong Kong. Still waiting on test results and hoping I don't have to start my new gig via Zoom calls from the hospital.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's all part of the Shock Doctrine's end game.

Coronavirus has destroyed our economy, so we just can't afford SS, Medicare, Medicaid or any of that shit any more.

You'll hear it next February. They're supposed to keep it quiet, but they keep blurting it out.

If they keep control into January, nobody can stop them.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If we're going to dismiss all Trumpandemic deaths in those with other illnesses, we might as well dismiss all traffic deaths in which the victims had cancer.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not sure how many times I can say it. There are degrees between shelter in place to August; and throw open the doors.

Iron_chet and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Yes yes I'm admittedly being an asshole about this and you're right there are degrees.

But when you start throwing out things like but we only have 0.000008 percent of the population dying, it's disingenuous because it ignores what SIP has done to keep deaths down. And I'm going to make a comment that compares this line of argument to working YF's corners but I'm not sure that's fair. So I need to back away.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's obvious the idea is to shut everything down until . . . Nov. 5. At which point we'll wake up to a glorious morning, emerge from our sheltering, join hands and sing like the Whos on Christmas morning.
    [​IMG]

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But we can always afford the DOD and our bloated military budget! Trillions for nation-building in Iraq and Afghanistan, but nothing for you greedy laid-off workers at home!

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted