1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

2. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Kind of surprised more hasn't been made about the possible link between people who have received MMR vaccines (so basically everyone under 50, at the least) and protection from covid-19 symptoms. A couple of studies (not yet peer-reviewed) seem to suggest there's a link, with one of them pointing to places like Hong Kong in which a sizable number of people have recently received MMR vaccines to battle measles outbreaks. Hong Kong, with a similar density and population as NYC, has seen all of four covid-19 deaths, compared with the thousands in NYC. One of the studies also looks at the example of the USS Roosevelt aircraft carrier, which had more than 1,000 positive tests but only one death and seven hospitalizations (all new U.S. military recruits receive MMR vaccinations, regardless if they received them previously).

Possible MMR protection also is posited as a reason why covid-19 is so deadly in older populations who perhaps haven't received MMR vaccines.

Places like Belgium and Italy, where MMR vaccinations were slow to catch on, have seen an inordinate number of covid-19 deaths, too.

29% Similarity Between Coronavirus and Rubella Virus Can Help MMR Vaccine Fight Off COVID-19: Study

► COVID-19 - Vaccine Research

TigerVols and Alma like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's possible. I'll be interested in what further research shows.

I would venture a horseback guesstimate that the U.S. population up to age 65 or so has likely had an MMR. That said, the vast majority of older people who have had one got it decades ago, and such acquired immunity can fade over time. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fresh one in such cases.

The other side of the coin is that a very high percentage of the U.S. population has had an MMR at some point, and there is no shortage of cases here. I don't know when an MMR became a base requirement for admission to public schools, but my son was born in 1983 and an MMR was one of the immunizations which were required to to be up to date every school year. If a student did not have one on file by two or three weeks into the school year they'd be sent home until they returned with proof of immunization.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Going back to bed after this.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think it might be time to find out what they do if I just sailed away.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If there's anything to this, it's all the more reason to curse the name Andrew "You Don't Actually Have to Call Me Doctor Anymore" Wakefield.
    Lancet MMR autism fraud - Wikipedia

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just had my first experience with COVID-19 testing. I was spared having to take a cotton-swab pike up the nose and instead got to do "deep throat saliva testing", i.e. spit in a tiny, glass vial and make sure not to spill it. (For the record, I didn't -- spitting was the hard part as I was remarkably dehydrated after the flight). I'm supposed to get the results tomorrow afternoon.

I'm now sporting an electronic monitor around my wrist to help make sure I adhere to my mandatory two weeks of quarantine. It makes me feel ever so slightly criminal (with all apologies to Fiona Apple). There's a contact-tracing app I'm supposed to download, too, but my Android phone is apparently so old and busted the app won't even show up on the Google Play store. The government had to issue me a phone just to make sure I could keep in touch. They'll take it back once the two weeks are up, but still, sometimes it's fun being a fuddy-duddy before you're even 40.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is in Singapore, after spending time back home in USA, correct?

Stay safe and do continue these updates; they are fascinating and informative (I've been known to quote them IRL, so if anyone ever asks, just tell them yes you and I are friends. haha).

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Edited: I just turned 51 and I asked my mom about it. She somehow still had my records and said I did not get it, but my brother one year younger did.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

You can do tests now to see if you got it or how strong it is. A lot of people around our age aren't very protected now by what they had then and need new boosters.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She sent me the record. Shows I got a measles vaccine at 1 year old and mumps at 2 years old. Same with smallpox, at 2 years old.

Draft saved Draft deleted