1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why would any newspaper with a college get rid of its sports editor? They think a sustainable model to make any money involves no coverage of local sports? Is the sports editor just on furlough or actually fired?

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That depends on the college. If it's a small school, with little to no sports program, then ditching the sports editor makes sense.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But that still leaves the high schools without coverage.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

We’re learning very quickly that sports aren’t real

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The suits at the newspaper in that city and the parent company apparently give no value to sports selling newspapers at all. If they have a local college and it is halfway competitive, a significant amount of readers want to hear about the college football and basketball and any specialty sports that they excel in. I know many many suits have been jealous of sports (the writers get to travel) and the toy department reputation of it, but if a newspaper in a college town eliminates the sports editor position, good luck. The university website should pick up on that, let everrybody know they are the only source of news, hire some kid to cover the teams and get some advertisers. Nobody in a college town is going to care at all about a newspaper that doesn't cover the college.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Fortunately in this day and age, newspapers have paid obituaries to tide them over.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I spent 15 years in Norwich. Ten years ago we had a sports staff of six. Now it’s one. The executive editor was just laid off last week (he had spent almost 30 years there in different roles) and was replaced by the current Newport EE, who I guess is going to split time between the two - despite there being about 75 minutes between the two places.

8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Do the Navigators get a lot of coverage? Did the paper send a writer to away games? And what about the Red Sox? Once sports resumes, what do you think the top priorities for the lone sports staffer will be?

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There's actually far fewer of those running, at least for our shop.

Many funerals/memorial services are being postponed until later this summer, in hopes the social distancing rules will be lifted by then and large groups can gather. So for quite a few people, a short death notice runs now, and the longer obit probably will run when they have the service.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the obituary business is disappearing for newspapers. When my Dad died in 2014 my Mom wanted a Denver Post obituary so we spent a couple of hundred dollars for an ad. We received one phone call as a result.

When she died we skipped the ad.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I think they run a feature every now and again written by a stringer. Certainly no game coverage - its deadline is around first pitch. There hasn’t been a writer go to away games since probably 2005. Red Sox haven’t been covered since the late 80s. Our coverage area once allowed us to cover 28 high schools and five colleges, including UConn. Now it’s four core high schools and no colleges.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think people also are getting hip to how newspapers are gouging the deceased's loved ones on the prices of obits. Really unconscionable, IMO, for relatively low-impact newspaper obits to cost $600-$1,000 in a small-sized paper, and grieving people fork it over so it is one less thing to worry about.

I think the online obits through the funeral homes are much more reasonably priced, give a bigger audience and are packaged with the memorial, visitation and funeral service as a whole package deal.

wicked and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted