1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I read both those stories. Bradley is obviously one of the good editors. Roth is yet another superstar writer in the business. Most companies would be honored to have such a star working for that company for so long. Newspapers? Get rid of him. Hire somebody for 1/4 the salary and do it now! People don't read bylines!!!"
    Guess what, suits? People DO READ BYLINES. They have (once had) their favorite writers. See you in the unemployment line.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Am I reading that right? Gannett owes about as much money as the value of Apple and Amazon combined?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No.

Because I typed the word trillion instead of billion. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Correcting myself again. You were reading correctly. What you were reading was incorrect. I goofed.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

What’s a few zeroes between friends?

Liut likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Something else I noticed ... Gannett is removing bylines on its websites.

Further dehumanization of employees?

Disconnecting the audience from content providers so they can plug in a high schooler at $7.25 and nobody would notice?

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to read the tell-all book about the last months of the Gannett empire before they closed their doors

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I just visited a half-dozen Gannett web sites. Bylines on all of them.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Look harder.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My local Gannett site has bylines on everything on their site.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'd love to meet the suit who came up with that. That's a deal breaker, folks. Reporters must walk out ... resign. Shut the doors. Now we let the suits take away the bylines so nobody knows it's a kid making 8 bucks writing it and not a veteran superstar. This officially makes newspaper suits the most despicable people ever in the business world. Disgusting. No byline? All reporters must resign over this. NOW.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Can you provide examples?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just so I'm clear on things - GateHouse is running the "new" Gannett right? So we shouldn't describe new objectionable acts by management as being "same old, same old" - no more News 2000 or "mainstreaming" "MoJo" or "Information Center" references?" And no more this:

Draft saved Draft deleted