1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Missouri

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jla74m, Apr 30, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wait, what the hell? Does this mean they won’t tell the interviewee where the paper is until after they conduct a phone interview?!?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Five days a week.

Teams regularly successful in state tournaments.

Two-person sports staff.

Likely paying too much to be a Gatehouse paper, unless it's near KC/StL.

I did a search for dailies on the Missouri Press Association website and counted 43.
    Find A Listing – Missouri Press Association

Someone familiar with the state could probably figure it out quickly if they cared that much.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Or they say that is the pay range and it isn't close to that. There are plenty of those on Indeed or other places where they say it's that much but it isn't....also WTF. They won't tell the person where it's located until the phone interview? Anytown USA!!

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That's how I read it. First the interview, then the location reveal. Someone's looking to get rid of their incumbent sports editor in the skeeziest way.

RonClements and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Since I had some free time this AM ...

I Googled the papers listed on the MPA website. Based on info I found, these general interest newspapers publish five days a week.

Camendton Lake Sun: The Lake News Online: Local & World News, Sports & Entertainment in Camdenton, MO

Columbia Daily Tribune: Columbia Daily Tribune: Local & World News, Sports & Entertainment in Columbia, MO

Independence Examiner: The Examiner of East Jackson County: Local & World News, Sports & Entertainment in Independence, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, Sugar Creek and Lee's Summit, MO

Marshall Democrat-News: Marshall Democrat-News

Sedalia Democrat: sedaliademocrat.com

West Plains Daily Quill: westplainsdailyquill.net

I could not find publication schedules for these, so they could also be five-day-a-week papers:

Clinton Daily Democrat: No website

Dexter | The Daily Statesman: Dexter Statesman newspaper, Dexter, Stoddard County, Missouri

Fulton Sun: Fulton Sun

Jefferson City News Tribune: News Tribune

Joplin Globe: joplinglobe.com

Lake Ozark & Osage Beach | LakeExpo.com: lakeexpo.com | The Lake's Trusted News Source

Poplar Bluff | Daily American Republic: Daily American Republic newspaper, Poplar Bluff, Missouri

In fairness, it took more than 10 minutes -- it took 29. I didn't look up sports staff size and I don't know the geography, so knowing which successful teams match up to a particular area would be a challenge. I'm sure a smart Missourian can take it over the goal line from here.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

The Daily Quill ... cool title

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I knew the SEs at some of those papers in a previous life, so I don't want to speculate. But the part about expecting the SE to also take photographs would seemingly weed out some of those papers.

I'll echo what has been said about the rest of it. Not sure why any potential candidate would want to work for a place that would operate like that, and not sure how valuable a phone interview would be, if the candidate would not even know what paper it is before jumping on the call.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

*Phone rings: "Hello this is John Smith, who is this?"
    Caller: Don't worry about it. I work at a paper in Missouri.
    JS: OK?
    Caller: We are calling you about your interest in our paper.
    JS: OK? And that paper is?
    Caller: Don't worry we will get to that.
    JS: OK?
    Caller: Tell me a little bit about yourself and why you're interested in our paper.
    JS: I don't know if I am, I don't even know where the fuck it is?
    Caller: It's in Missouri
    JS: Where in Missouri?
    Caller: That will be part of our secret reveal.
    JS: *Click

9. adcs2

adcs2 Member

Somebody, should take that list and email all the SEs that job description and see if they can figure it out.

HanSenSE and RonClements like this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that newspaper in Massachusetts that used to constantly post openings on here that weren’t actually open but just intended to “scare” the current staff and put them on notice.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Joplin's currently seven days but Wednesdays are online only (e-edition) since COVID-19 cut into advertising revenue. Joplin also has at least one, if not two, staff photographers. Reporters probably don't have to take pics unless they want to do so.

"Daily" in a newspaper's name no longer means anything. The Wellington Daily News in Kansas prints once a week on Wednesdays. I don't know how often it updates on the web, but I doubt it does a daily e-edition.

EDIT: The Globe is at five days in print. Saturday and Monday were the editions they stopped.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If journalismjobs runs shit like that, they should just allow ads for free interns.

Draft saved Draft deleted