1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

There once was a hockey team called the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees. Killer Bees vs. Murder Hornets would be a dream minor-league match-up.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Graphic designers: Do it!

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Considerable progress seems to have been made in a therapy (remdesivir) and quicker testing. I’m guessing great progress has been made on a vaccine but vaccines take long enough that, obviously, we weren’t going to have a 18-month lockdown nationwide.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You didn’t read about it did ya?

The government has announced the gradual lifting of some lockdown measures from May 11, including the re-opening of primary schools.

Many shops will also reopen and remote-working staff will be able to return to offices as France battles the economic impact of the coronavirus that has already pushed the country into recession.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200502/france-extends-covid-19-health-emergency-until-july-24th

6. tapintoamerica

Remdesivir is irrelevant. The Trumpist klan has weighed in. Shortly, the lord and savior will follow suit.
    Coronavirus gets a promising drug. MAGA world isn’t buying it.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, since my daughter lives there, I know about this. The schedule for reopening of primary schools was announced last week. The extension is a means of allowing more of the stages of the reopening plan, the later and more ambitious, to take place under the official decree. This was just yet another TV network putting a BREAKING NEWS chyron on something that was anything but.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only quibble I have with my company is we actually don't get sick days. We get our PTO, and if we're sick, we have to take PTO if we want to stay home. That's actually changing, and we have a policy that we can take (I think) three days if we're sick so we don't have to use our PTO. The PTO policy actively encouraged people to come in if we weren't "really sick." Why would you want to blow your vacation days if you were just "a little sick?"

Also, I've gotten the impression from my boss that this whole thing is completely changing our view of office work. We're literally kicking ass remotely. We were told this week that basically we're going to be working remotely for the foreseeable future. I pop into the office once a week for a change of scenery and to pick up mail, but I can absolutely do my job from home. We're realizing that. We're realizing that the 40-hour work week is bullshit. Outside of events, we can get our jobs done in 25 hours a week. Easy. Everything is going to change after this.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I find this highly interesting. At the electronic publishing and digitizing firm I worked at after leaving the Herald, the founder and CEO, a decent guy, admitted he hated the idea of remote work because he founded the company in his basement and it brought back weird memories. But when rapid expansion and the cost of Boston area commercial real estate were more motivating, he agreed to a pilot project with some veteran (I'd been there four years) employees whose jobs were considered suitable for remote work. We crushed it, and I think most of the company remote works now. I now for sure he does. Headquarters is in Alabama and he, CEO and Chairman, lives in Ipswich, Ma.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Our staff work, done remotely, is very good. We had a board of directors meeting yesterday, 27 people on a conference call, where if one person was unmuted everything sounded terrible. That was awful. The whole point of board meetings is to hash out ideas in a room of people that meet like three times a year. I can see our remote work continuing, but if we can actually get in a room for a board meeting, it would be beneficial to our organization.

11. tapintoamerica

This pretty much explains the SEC/Trumpist mindset.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This made me laugh:

Draft saved Draft deleted