1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Needed a Lawyer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, May 1, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I did retain a lawyer when I divorced my first wife 20 years ago.
    It cost me a 12-pack of Southpaw.

Yeah, it was a buddy of mine who didn't have a high opinion of my first wife.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I needed a lawyer to get custody of my son from my alcoholic, oxy-addicted ex. I had contacted a lawyer everyone I knew said was the best family court lawyer in the area, but she had a conflict of interest (she had previously represented my ex's father - court trouble runs in the family, I suppose). She referred me to another lawyer who was former Navy, no BS, and knew her way around the courtroom.

First meeting, I told her I was looking for a 50-50, not every-other-weekend, co-parenting arrangement, mostly because I figured that was the best I'd be able to get. She told me to expect a frustrating, insulting and grievously unfair process, since the courts in my state err on the side of the mother. She also said, "If everything you've told me about her is true, I hope you're ready to have full custody within 2 years. Because she isn't stable and she isn't going to get any better." She was right about everything except the ultimate timeframe.

It was an excruciatingly slow process at times, knowing my infant son was in danger living with an addict. Every court date that went by without anything happening — whether she made up some false accusation or simply missed it entirely — grew increasingly frustrating. After one where I thought I would start getting overnight parenting time (and didn't), I cussed her out in the parking lot and asked why the fuck I had to jump through so many hoops to see my own son when the mother had acknowledged paternity. I thought about getting a new lawyer. But my then-girlfriend (now my wife and adoptive mother to my son) told me to be patient and let the process play out with my lawyer. She was right.

Just 10 months after he was born, I had full custody and several months later my ex acquiesced her parental rights, paving the way for my wife to eventually adopt him.

I never had much (any?) use for a lawyer before all that, but the whole process made me want to go to law school and become a family court lawyer. I admire my lawyer beyond words for the way she was able to handle me and navigate the courts. I still call her occasionally and send her a Christmas card every year (which she loves to receive even though she celebrates Channukah) just to update her on how he's doing.

She played a bigger part in the happiness of me and my family's lives than she'll ever fully understand.

In short, I've only ever had one lawyer, and I love the shit out of her.

wicked, misterbc, swingline and 8 others like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was your lawyer missing the court date or your ex? Did you cuss out your lawyer or your ex?

Hopefully it wasn't the lawyer. I'm glad everything turned out the way it should have. I hope I've instilled those feelings in my clients (one client did invite me to his renewal of wedding vows in Mexico).

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My ex missed multiple court dates (with no repercussions). I cussed out my lawyer in the parking lot. Specifically, I shouted, “why the fuck aren’t we getting anything?! We went in there today and got fucking nothing!”

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Blanket statements are very rarely correct, but I think it's true that almost everybody disparages lawyers until they need one. Then their opinion changes.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hired one a few years ago to sort out my finances after an ex-gf did a number on my credit cards. One of the best moves I made (after getting the hell out of the relationship). Anything that comes up, I just shoot him an email and get an answer in a few hours.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I tried three times in four years to get insurance-backed approval for weight-loss surgery, going through the preparation processes each time by attending mandatory informational/educational sessions, losing prerequisite amounts of weight over prescribed periods, with regular weigh-ins, to show I was serious and ready to do the work of weight loss, and going along with each office's or medical center's requisite reams of paperwork and doctor's appointments.

Only to put all my information through to my medical insurance, and have the weight-loss surgery procedure flagged as an exclusion because it was considered just cosmetic. Despite my dangerous obesity and a couple of conditions that were a direct result of it but were still on the mild side, I was considered just too healthy -- not in bad enough shape to really need it.

Fed up, I finally enlisted the help of a lawyer who specializes in weight-loss surgery cases -- of all types and from all angles -- including those with trouble getting insurance approval for it, like me.

He gathered my history, medical details and copies of prior appeals I'd made of past rejections, put it all together and successfully argued for me to have the surgery. So quickly that, within about six weeks, I had my surgery approval from the insurance company, and thus, began my ultimate weight-loss journey in my fourth attempt. At long last, I underwent my gastric-bypass procedure on Aug. 6, 2008, and went on to lose 146 pounds over an 18-month stretch.

Nearly 12 years later, I've still kept most of that weight off and consider myself a fortunately healthy and successful weight-loss surgery patient. To this day, I also still consider the fee I paid to my lawyer to be the best $800 I've ever spent.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More times than I can count - and every one of them but one has been a pleasant experience that got me the result I needed and likely could not have achieved myself. A car accident that wasn't my fault, an accident my son was in that wasn't his fault, my mom's death, a couple of house purchases and a few more.

The one negative experience was truly negative, very negative, extremely negative. Years later, I showed another lawyer what they'd done and what they tried to charge me and he said, "Man, I'm doing it all wrong if they're able to get away with this." He said the charges were about four times what they should have been, which is what I figured. I'd paid a quarter of their bill and told them to take me to court if they didn't like it. I also sent a draft of my letter to that state bar.

It was years and years ago and I never heard from them again.

The most interesting case was when a company sued me over a debt that had been paid in full and on time years earlier. It was right about the time I was changing cities and my marriage was ending and I'm thinking, "MotherF, I swear I paid this but did it fall through the cracks?" I'd changed cities, changed banks, not everything was online then. But I eventually found all the checks, etc. and my lawyer fired off the greatest letter ever and filed a countersuit. They folded and I got a semi-decent check for my trouble.

So the scoreboard would be about 10 excellent experiences and one very very VERY negative experience.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The day and 30. Had I been convicted of the extreme DUI, it would have been 10 days and I think six months, plus the interlock.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

Work contracts.

Wills.

Real estate.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, I misread. I thought you meant you would have an interlock device on your car for just 10 days and the longer license suspension.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Two divorces and one instance of child-custody re-working, so yeah. I also have a good friend lawyer who is essentially on pro bono retainer.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted