1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

"Top 10 moments during Zac Taylor's tenure as coach of the Bengals"

The money they were offering for those positions was insulting... $1,500 to $2,000 a month. No newcomer working a beat for 20 hours a week is going to break through the noise, especially writing from the couch.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If no. 1 isn't the one win I will pillage your hometown.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Never work for a place that enforces quotas.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way: This person is putting out content every day.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good cover.

[​IMG]

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Guys you're not gonna believe this, but a crew with a track record of crashing and burning is crashing and burning.

There's no better summation of 2020 than these crooked swindlers getting the "small business loan" from a "government" "overseen" by the most crooked swindler of all.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What a shame. I hope there is a day of reckoning for all of these crooks, but I'm not holding my breath.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe it. That warning came from the 10-Q the company filed with the SEC today, and the reason it had to do that filing in the first place is that it issued a ton of convertible preferred stock -- tens of millions of dollars worth -- to have even licensed SI's name in the first place and prepay part of the royalty fee they agreed to. They found a lot of suckers in a private placement, sold them a fantasy of a huge return on their investment, and got them to put up money those investors will never see back.

But if you look at their financials, these jokers never ran a viable company, with or without the pandemic shutting down all sports. They lost money in the firscal 2017 year. Lost way more money in their fiscal 2018 year. They had never demonstrated any ability to do anything except blow through other people's cash.

So why would this be surprising?

There were a lot of dogshit companies without viable businesses playing this way over the last 10 years, except the debt markets and private / public equity markets were there to bail them out continually and extend their ability to burn through cash that should never have been available to them. In this environment, though, borrowing has gotten much tougher and these guys are screwed.

My question to you is what did you mean by this? "There's no better summation of 2020 than these crooked swindlers getting the "small business loan" from a "government" "overseen" by the most crooked swindler of all."

Did these guys get one of the government Paycheck Protection Loans? If so, how much?

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ahh yes, sorry, that info was deeper in the thread. $5.7M. Crooks.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How much more trouble would Maven be in without that loan?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just to reiterate my point from page 33 of this thread, the point has ALWAYS been to burn Sports Illustrated to the ground faster than anyone can realize the arsonists are dumping gasoline on the fire while asking people for funding to "save" it.

The only reason they are expressing worry in earnings calls is so they don't go to prison for fraud.

But trust me, the plan is going swimmingly as far as Heckman is concerned.

To paraphrase Marlo Standfield, SI is already dead. It was dead when Maven took over.

The magazine is just walking around not knowing it yet.

12. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Exactly. Didn't they say the same thing last year in their filing?

Draft saved Draft deleted