1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Still an adversary, though, and not worthy of complete trust. He's too smart for that, and he works against us, too.

As we do with his country. I don't discount your arguments. But at least we don't kill journalists here. Not yet, anyway.

Although rumor has it that we did farm one out to Saudi Arabia. ;)

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Most of that increase, I'm sure, is New York starting to list home deaths suspected of COVID-19.

To compare apples to apples, the proper measure of death rates is deaths vs. recoveries. Active cases could still break either way and if those numbers are included, they waaaayyyy dilute the death percentages.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Stay in your lane! Stick to sports! Etc.

Fred siegle and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Slacker

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

So what’s the big story on Fox & Friends this morning
    They’re bitching about the Saturday night virtual concert (which was on every network except Fox) because the World Health Organization was the chief beneficiary

8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

At least for Italy and Spain (& I expect the worst-hit areas in the U.S.), part of the reason may be that once hospitals are overwhelmed, lots of people die who wouldn't have if hospital care had been available/better. Also, I assume that once things get that bad, testing is less of a priority than dealing with the affected.

One thing that surprises me is how many of the tests in the U.S. are negative. I assume we're still at the point where nearly all of the people who are tested have a pretty good reason to think they may have the virus. Yet for the country as a whole, the positive rate is under 25%. In Alabama, it's 11%. In Alaska, it's just over 3%. (source: covidtracking.com/data) I hope that doesn't mean there are lots of false negatives.

9. Slacker

I hope that doesn't mean the test kits we rush to produce have flaws.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The son of an acquaintance of mine is the only person of whom I have (second-hand) information on testing. His roommate in college had a family member test positive, so when their college was closed in March he was able to get tested. He also had a mild but persistent cough. Test came back negative, but the doctor and nurse who tested him recommended he be quarantined anyway for two weeks just to be sure. After that he again tested negative, but this anecdote certainly implies the medical community has its doubts on the accuracy of current testing.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lol. Not in practice, they aren't. Forced sterilizations of women in China? No free press? Sounds pretty fascist to me.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

They’re opposed in theory; the same as currently practiced (and every time in history)

Draft saved Draft deleted