1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Family

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The finale is tonight.

The show has basically been crap for several years now. I thought season 7 was the last good season.

But I'm still sad. Even with the big sag at the end, I thought this was a strong series and I will miss it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a must watch early and we pop in and out occasionally. Like all cash cows, lasted longer than it should have but still always good for laughs and a kind heart.

Tweener, sgreenwell and Moderator1 like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Except between Cam and Mitchell. :)

I think the show kind of lost some steam as it went on, because it felt like they were trying to balance the air time instead of focusing on the more appealing / interesting characters. But I realize that everyone's definition of "interesting characters" probably varies. Loved the first couple of seasons, but it became a running gag how often the cast members were nominated for Emmys.

Webster likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

At least Cam and Mitchell never changed — they hated each other from beginning to end.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

For me it started its decline the season when they added those neighbors. Some episodes have been outstanding like Las Vegas and Connection Lost, but like every show that has a cast featuring kids he drop-off is inevitable when those kids stage to grow older.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They really need to turn the camera around to show the "documentary" crew as a final kicker. I don't know who the filmmaker would be - Carl Reiner, Norman Lear would be nice, or go with Erroll Morris, Michael Apted or Warner Herzog.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Connection Lost and Phil's Sexy, Sexy House (on later tonight) are probably the two best episodes.
    Haley and Andy were a great match, they should have run with that.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Not a great finale, either. A few heart tugs, but yeah, best years by far in the rearview mirror.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Like most people, I dropped off as the years went on - somewhere around Gloria having a baby. Phil and Claire's dorky kid actually turned out okay as an adult.
    My favorite episode may have been when Haley got kicked out of college. As they moved out of the dorms, Haley had to go back, because she left something on "the makeup table". Phil pointed out that that was a desk.

Mitchell in his non-Cam scenes was the best character.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You could understand why they did it, but the show probably would have been fresher if they 'cut' some of the characters as time went by. Like, I enjoyed Phil and Claire's kids - could have used more of them, and less of Mitchell vs. Cam. I also liked Gloria and Jay, but much more as supporting / pop-in characters, not the focus of a plot.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So basically you wanted a show about empty nesters Phil & Claire.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted