1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Millsaps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Died last night, per his wife.

Former Richmond Times-Dispatch sports editor, managing editor and executive editor. An APSE Red Smith Award winner. If I had a Mount Rushmore of career influences, he'd be on it.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the great guys I was lucky enough to meet in my career. Damn it. RIP, Bill.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Worked closely with Bill since starting my current job in 2015. Excellent mentor and resource. Obviously a giant in Virginia media. Really fortunate to have gotten to know him and his wife well. Sad day.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Moderator1 likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Read the RTD every day from 1972-76. Delivered it on campus from 75-76. He ran a great sports section. RIP.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Whicker wrote last night about the gathering he always oversaw on Friday night at the Masters. And he died on the day that would have happened this year. We've never met, but RIP, sir.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

Sadden to learn of this. Millsaps, Jennings Culley, Chauncey Durden, AP's Marshall Johnson...all Va legends

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

When you were in his presence, you knew you were in the presence of greatness. You didn’t have to be told.

Draft saved Draft deleted