1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's moronic that MLB even float an Arizona-only league considering how much testing would be needed -- for a non-essential activity, at that.

3. Inky_Wretch

I mean, if we can expect our schoolchildren to log-on to Zoom meetings why the fuck can't an NFL head coach or other executives?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not every virus HAS a vaccine or may ever have one, including HIV, hepatitis C, respiratory syncytial and Epstein-Barr.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Was thinking about the last big-time sporting event I attended, the Oregon-UW football game last October in Seattle. Seems like a decade ago rather than six months.

The packed train ride to and from the stadium. The acres and acres of tailgating. Long lines to enter Husky Stadium, buy food, use the bathroom. Jammed next to fellow fans for 3-4 hours.

Not sure how fun all of that is when there's an incredibly fast-spreading virus (with no cure) still circulating.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My last mass gathering was at the Chiefs-Texans playoff game.

The last time I went out to eat was at least a month ago, maybe more.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

True, but some of that is because there’s not enough of a market for it.

Prediction: We will have a COVID-19 vaccine... And before that we will find an existing vaccine or vaccines that greatly help.

I have a feeling we’re going to be hearing more about this kind of thing in the next few weeks:
    There are too many anomalies in the data of this disease— why aren’t certain kids getting it— why aren’t certain countries like India & Brazil slammed like the US is? The answer could be that there’s a vaccine already out there that affords some protection.

Nations with Mandatory TB Vaccines Show Fewer Coronavirus Deaths

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If Saint Dabo of the Upstate had accurately cited some expert opinion, we’d definitely be wrong in dismissing his optimism. But he didn’t. Gundy went a step farther, denigrating “so-called medical people.”

9. Inky_Wretch

Sure, he's an OAN watcher. He's probably hoarding anti-malaria drugs and ordering vitamins from Alex Jones.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The stories he's reading are "garbage."

I mean, he IS a man, right? He's 50!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No one is really ready to restart sports. This is all spitballing that gets leaked to sports media desperate for any crumb of news.

misterbc and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted