1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is just a guess, but it's my opinion a lot of advertisers would be eager to be on sports broadcasting to be seen as part of a major symbol of life returning to or at least getting closer to normal.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Multi-millionaires are going to be asked to leave the safety of their homes to enter a dangerous situation so they can entertain us and keep even richer people afloat.

Not real good logic, is it. But I don't expect that from GoodellNFL or the greedy grasping NCAA.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right.

But the pool of advertisers, and the amount they are willing to pay, is likely to be very severely reduced. There are endless examples. Ford had to cut its dividend and draw down its revolving line of credit. ... just to try to survive. What is their ad spend going to be if they are still not producing trucks and consumers aren't buying them?

Take Annheiser Busch. They haven't warned yet, but as a proxy, Heineken did pull its guidance this morning. With bars closed, their beer volumes are way down. What is their ad decision making like in that environment?

All of those things in the aggregate, combined with a lot of tapped out consumers, means that if those companies advertise, the revenue from those ads for the networks is very likely going to be paltry compared to the past.

But of course, any iconic brands that are not struggling as much financially will see an ad buy as a fantastic spend on good long-term PR.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I won't watch because I don't need to see a mass masturbation session — with Goodell the leading circle jerker. The only thing I care about concerning the NFL is the games; all other shit can go fuck itself.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Don’t forget that there will be a chunk of people (Players, media, fans) who has some immunity.

Those are the early adopters of the new sports product, whatever form that takes.

Availability of a reliable antibody test would help speed this along.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anheuser-Busch will definitely advertise, because its products are still for sale at liquor stores in most communities. I also think we'll see a boom in ads similar to that of the dot.com era from start-ups in remote work and education technology. And of course, insurance and financial services will always be with us. Last but not least, if any sports open in 2020, there will be campaign commercials.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Considering the IHME models keep revising their counts downward, what makes optimism more unsubstantiated than pessimism? If Dabo had said "well, these IHME models are telling me we can probably do this," would it have been substantiated?

FWIW, I think playing the games with a ton of fans is not necessary. I think playing the games, at some point, period, is just about the only thing keeping those athletic departments alive.

Again - I think the speculation is premature by 2-3 weeks. We'll know more in early to mid May. And it may be even worse then. The models suggest it won't be, but maybe it will be. Deciding this right now, in this moment, isn't necessary.

You see folks pushing on both sides. Coaches are creatures are pointless habit - cue the line about nutrition, as if a couple weeks away from the salad bar is the end of the world - and want their players back just to feel better about controlling what they can control. That's Gundy's perspective, and May 1 absolutely isn't necessary.

The flip side is this largely unsubstantiated certitude that nothing can be the same until there's a vaccine. To which we must say, well, it depends on the next month or two. Can we find effective treatment that reduce the worst outcomes? Can we create strategies to isolate the most vulnerable? Does the virus die hard in May in a way that gives us the chance to move about freely and get some larger gameplans in place for culture and society? We just have to see.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

All that might be possible if we had good leadership in the federal government right now. I tend to think this will take longer than it has to.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That seems to me an entirely reasonable stance. This administration's decision making record does not inspire confidence.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This might be true. That's a good way of thinking about it. If there is no strong central federal authority on this, a lot of state and even local officials will go their own way on it.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And that will prolong the crisis. I don't trust the SEC state governors to do the right thing and abide what the scientists and experts are saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted