1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It will be interesting how it plays out. Would Andy Foster, who runs CSAC, decide to refuse to license the UFC the next time it wants to promote in the Staples Center, the Honda Center or someplace like that after this?

Of course, last summer, when Jon Jones failed a drug test, the UFC moved a promotion from Las Vegas to The Forum in Inglewood and Foster let them do that.

Unsanctioned MMA on Indian reservations in California was a big issue in the sport a few years ago after a video of Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (a current Bellator fighter) made her pro debut against a woman named Katie Castro, referred to as a "soccer mom" and knocked her out in 30 seconds in an unsanctioned fight on tribal lands near San Diego. (video below)

Here in Massachusetts, the state athletic commission did not sanction MMA until about 11 years ago. The sport was legal, but the promoters self-regulated. The UFC's policy was that it would not promote in any state whose athletic commission did not sanction the sport. The UFC also made a big push to get MMA legalized in New York and have the NYSAC sanction it.

I guess all of a sudden state regulation is inconvenient for the UFC so now they're willing to circumvent it.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm sure his comments were taken out of content.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have to be broadcast media or else what's the point? Broadcasters, cameramen, the production people, etc.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well-portrayed in the movie “The Big Short.”

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I bet the media will be allowed, possibly allowed before the fans because we are more reasonable and would likely submit to testing. Allowing media first could be a way to bridge & transition until we get a vax.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The idea that things are going to open up to any degree because we can't afford to keep things shut down ignores the reality that a lot of people are not going to go to a stadium until they feel safe. A proclamation from an official can't do that. But people not getting sick and dying might.

As long as that isn't the case, there is a chain effect that could influence things. They can play games in empty stadiums and broadcast them, but broadcasters make money selling advertising, and a lot of companies that would have bought advertising in the past are going to be looking long and hard at that decision, just as the third of people who didn't pay their rent in the first week of this month are going to have less money to buy advertised stuff.

The flip side is that maybe the leagues / networks suck it up for a season on the hope that they capture a lot of homebound, captive hearts and minds for as long as things remain shut down to any degree, on the hope that it pays dividends in fan loyalty to the sport in later seasons. Sports is relatively cheap broadcasting to produce. So I could see that happening.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He can take it. After all, he’s a man. He’s 52.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

But will the flu get a Show-Cause order?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Hey, I'd be comfortable going to a bar again when things open up as long as the bar is configured the way it was right before the shutdown .... limited seating, etc. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going to a bar where people are elbow to elbow. Not yet. The re-open is going to have to be gradual, for sure.

As far as when I'd want to go to a stadium again ... I just don't know. Would professional teams open stadiums with half the seating capacity so they only sell every other seat to leave space? Not sure I see that half-measure occuring.

11. tapintoamerica

No chance. If I were in charge, I’d tell reporters to watch games on TV and write that way. Teams would need to make players available by phone.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I know how eager people are to get back to "normal," but until there's a rigorous national testing mechanism in place, it can't happen.

Otherwise we just keep cycling and recycling through waves of infection and re-infection.

Even then, without a vaccine available, how many folks are going to want to congregate in close quarters with 80000 strangers?

So we might need to be thinking in terms of a couple years before live spectator sports return.

Sports in some sort of sterile television vacuum is an interesting idea in the meantime, and one we'll see experimentally I'm sure.

tapintoamerica and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted