1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at the Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Mar 9, 2020.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That there is some rock-solid union busting. If I wasn’t so appalled, I’d have to applaud its efficiency.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Horrible people in that Advance management group, truly horrible.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Was just coming over here to ask what in the world is going on in Cleveland, because I can't fully wrap my mind around what's going on/the distinction of companies cleveland.com/The Plain Dealer

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's Advance's way of fucking over the P-D staff, which is union, by making them secondary to the "real" reporters on the dotcom side.

Advance in the last 10 years turned into Zed waiting for a phone call. Disgusting shitweasels.

sgreenwell and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. cubman

cubman Member

And the guy leading the charge used to be one of their prep reporters. Good writer, too.
    I couldn't look at myself in the morning or any other time if I were him.

matt_garth likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is despicable, very sad and typical of newspapers. Does anybody out there still believe newspapers died because of lack of interest from readers and not diabolical/incompetent owners, CEOs, managers? Sickening. The investigative team just won some award and they were rewarded by being told they were not needed, they were disposable pieces of nothing. "We don't need no awards? Get to covering the area towns, or better yet, please quit, pretty please? Just quit?"

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

PD throws out about everyone left:

The PD News Guild (@PDNewsGuild) Tweeted:
    The journalists laid off from @ThePlainDealer today include: The PD News Guild on Twitter

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Laid off or resigned? A Facebook poster from Cleveland said they resigned.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, The PD told them they were all off their beats and could go report on things in the outlying counties, I.e. everything NOT in Cleveland, or they could accept layoffs.

So 10 of them said go ahead and lay me off.

Don’t believe any of The PD soon on it.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted